How smooth an idle with CC206/206

an87ttype

I put this cam in my new rebuild and it seems a little loapy. I was hoping for a smoother idle.
How smooth are some of you idling? I suppose I could still have another problem. Just don't want to chase it too far if its normal.
Thanks all...............

Yeah, it's a little lopey. My Trans-Am with a 212/218 cam idles much smoother with less lope. Of course, the TA has about 120 cubic inches on the t-type. (and still gets it's ass whooped). Figure each 50 cubic inches eats up 5 degrees of duration, and you can see why the t-type with the 206/206 has more lope. The 212/218 in a ~ 350 ci engine (i know it's really 346 btw) should idle like a 231 ci engine with a 203/203 cam. Provided they have the same lobe sep and I bet they don't.

Very crude math, I know. Roughly true though. Anyway, a stock GN doesn't idle all that nicely (I hear putting on a LT1 or LS1 maf helps a lot).

Mine had a perfect idle with the CC 206-206. I really don't think that cam is big enough to cause it to lope.

Originally posted by cool 84
Mine had a perfect idle with the CC 206-206. I really don't think that cam is big enough to cause it to lope.

Really? Mine is a bit lopey. Maybe I have the Poston 206/206, like there's a difference? (comp probably grinds it for 'em)

Mine idles pretty good.

Although our cars aren't known for a super smooth idle, I can't tell the difference between the 206 cam and the stocker. Both are pretty good, but you can certainly tell the car is running.

I have the Comp 206/206, and I think it idles awesomely. It's a mean sound, really smooth, but just enough lope to let people know you're packing some HP. Although my car is set to idle at pretty high RPMs. I'm not sure how this cam would be with a lower idle. I haven't bothered lowering the idle, since my GN doesn't get many miles. Are you having any problems? Or does it just sound too rough for ya?
The stock GN I heard idle had a seemingly smoother idle, but it wasn't by a WHOLE lot.

Originally posted by Berman

Really? Mine is a bit lopey. Maybe I have the Poston 206/206, like there's a difference? (comp probably grinds it for 'em)

I've run from stock to 200-200, 206-206, 210-205, and 204-214 and all had stock quality idle. These cars didn't have a great idle from the factory anyway. I'm curious if my 212-212 will lope in my 4.1. My guess is it won't.

Sounds like mine's normal. I also tightened the DS crossover to fix a small leak. Sounds good. Not smooth but good!
Thanks all...........

Originally posted by cool 84

I've run from stock to 200-200, 206-206, 210-205, and 204-214 and all had stock quality idle. These cars didn't have a great idle from the factory anyway. I'm curious if my 212-212 will lope in my 4.1. My guess is it won't.

Never had a running stock GN, maybe what I thought it lopey is normal. I was comparing it to how my TA idled stock, which was like a caddy.

Funny thing about this cam and these cars. Some cars with a stock cam aren't as smooth as butter, some are. Mine had ported irons and port matched intake along with the 206/206. I can't say it was as smooth as a perfectly tuned stocker, but I can't call it lopey either. On mine you could tell there was something not quite stock.... it pulled 14 inches vacuum at idle, but had a distinctly stronger pulse at each combustion event. I can't wait to see what the new motor and cam will be like. An ATR 309G billet roller......:D

Mine idles fairly close to the stock cam. If you know what your listening to, you might be able to tell a small difference. Really no lope to speak of, just a little more aggressive sounding.