how hot ?

M

mark p. liner

what is the upper limit of water temp. you want to see.or should i say dont want to see. when does a hot air get too hot?i have got as hot as 210*. most of the time its around 180*, we've had some hot days upper 90s and the temp. wanted to go up to 210* when i drove it hard.which is not hard to do with all these 45 in a 55 zone driving fools.this weekend i will put in straght water with some watter wetter, see if that helps. heck i dont even know if 210* is too hot.:confused: thanks

What temp thermostat do you have??? What year is your car??? If it's 84 or early/mid 85, you most likely have the narrower radiator...If you have one of the real late 85's, you might have the wider radiator like what is in the 86/7 GN/TRs but without the engine oil cooler...If it's still the original radiator, then some of the tubes in the core are probably plugged up, so it's probably not going to cool right no matter what you do...If you do have the narrower radiator, I would convert over to the wider one for the extra cooling, but you will need to replace your fan shroud or modify your current one to fit...

On top of all that, I see in your sig that you have a Jasper motor in it...Most Jasper's that I have heard about are bored at least .040 over and some even .060...With the thinner cyl walls, the motor will run hotter than the stock bore motor, so that could also be part of your problem as well...

210* isn't really high enough to worry about, yet...but if you have a 160* T-stat in there, then you most likely have a plugged up radiator...I wouldn't let it get any higher than that, though...With a good cooling system, you shouldn't really go over 190* with the ac on and at the most 180* without the ac...

you may want to consider upgrading your radiator and adding a fan to keep the car cooler, that is what we did. Be Cool has an application we used.

Back when I really hated mine and the water pump went out I kept on driving with the guage pegged on 250. I had an oil cooler though so it probably is what saved it. 210 is nothing to worry about. Stock thermostat was 195 and a lot of new cars run 210 degree thermostats from the factory. 230 is where I would start worrying. Generally I don't run the car hard and especially when it's set on kill when the temp is above 190. It does seem to run harder at 160 though.

thanks for the replys,i have a 160* thermostat, and a new radiator. its one i got from auto zone.i also got the cap from auto zone. i read a post in which cheap caps dont hold good pressure. maby that could be it.i will call jasper and try to find out the bore. i had the elect. fan on the old engine and no problems. however i did not have a temp. guage then, but no signs of being too hot.it does not go over 210* and cools right back down to 180*-190* after a few min. who knows what it will do on a really hot day. i wished my ac worked:mad: this is what i look like on a hot day in my black car, thats really hot air.:D