Help with Casper's VSS

gordyzx9r

Well...we're going to attempt to install the following on a friend's T-Type:

102046 VSS CONVERTER MODULE
102007 VDO SIGNAL CONVERTER MODULE
102049 Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) – Feed-Thru

The original dash has been removed.

It now has a GNX style dash with Phantom Autometer gauges.

The speedometer is working but it's bouncing around a bit.

The Scanmaster is NOT reading MPH.

It has a code 24 (obviously).

Questions for the instructions for the 102046:

1. Brown to Pin A10 of the ECM: Do I tap into it or do I cut the brown wire and wire it directly into the VSS Converter Module?

2. The Black -12 VDC and Red +12 VDC says to connect to a Switched 12 VDC. Do I tap those into the OEM VSS module?

Questions for the instructions for the 102049:

1. Where and how on the transmission?

Questions for the instructions for the 102007:

1. The yellow wire goes to the "cruise control module input". Where is that? Is that pin D of the OEM VSS module "cruise signal"?

I'm sure as the day goes by we'll have more...right now we're going to tear apart the dash and see what's back there.

First hiccup:

There are no terminals on the back of the speedometer. There is the speedometer cable and two wires going to the bulb.

Okay...first pic is a "feed thru" of unkown origin under the hood.

There are two wires (black and red) coming off it that run to the hard wired portion of the VSS. One wire goes to the GREEN wire and the other goes to the RED Wire. The hardwired BLACK wire on the VSS has been cut and goes nowhere.

Speedo%20Feed%20Thru.JPG

The next pic is the VSS and you can see the wires that were run from the feed thru to here.

VSS%20Wiring.JPG

We're thinking, that we should remove the "feed thru" that's on the car now and install the Casper's unit. The problem is, based on the wiring diagram there are no terminals on the back of the speedometer to run the RED/BLACK/WHITE wires of the Casper's Feed thru sender to.

The wires connected to the old feedthru under the hood are the wires that connected to the back of the original speedometer. I had to route the wires from my speedo to the under hood feedthru when I added my gnx dash.

David

The wires connected to the old feedthru under the hood are the wires that connected to the back of the original speedometer. I had to route the wires from my speedo to the under hood feedthru when I added my gnx dash.

David

The question I have though is the wiring on the original VSS. I looked up the wiring diagram in the maintenance manuals (page 33-0) and it doesn't tell me what the three "hardwired" wires going into the VSS are. The "feed thru" that is currently on the car has two wires that run to the hardwired portion of the VSS (the GREEN & RED wires, the BLACK wire coming off of the VSS has been cut and goes nowhere). I wanna make sure I know what those three wires are before I start hooking stuff up.

I know what the white plug with 3 wires are for and the black plug with red wire...it's the three hardwired wires running into the back of the VSS itself I need to find out about.

The problem is, based on the wiring diagram there are no terminals on the back of the speedometer to run the RED/BLACK/WHITE wires of the Casper's Feed thru sender to.

You only run those 3 feed thru wires to the back of the speedo IF you have an electronic speedo. But since you have a cable speedo this doesn't apply. Just hook the red, black, and white wires to the VSS converter as shown on the wiring diagram.

I hope this also answers your PM to me.

Questions for the instructions for the 102046:

1. Brown to Pin A10 of the ECM: Do I tap into it or do I cut the brown wire and wire it directly into the VSS Converter Module?

2. The Black -12 VDC and Red +12 VDC says to connect to a Switched 12 VDC. Do I tap those into the OEM VSS module?

Cut the wires off going to the OEM VSS module and wire it directly to the Caspers VSS converter module. The OEM VSS module will NOT be used anymore. What I did was use a weatherpack connector for a clean install. So using Caspers diagram....Brown connects to wire A. Red connects to wire C. Black connects to wire B.

Questions for the instructions for the 102049:

1. Where and how on the transmission?

Questions for the instructions for the 102007:

1. The yellow wire goes to the "cruise control module input". Where is that? Is that pin D of the OEM VSS module "cruise signal"?

Some like to put it near the transmission but for yours I'd just put it in place of your mystery feed thru...that way you don't need to get different length speedo cables. I have my feed thru in almost the same area under the hood.

For the tach amp, I don't have cruise control so I don't use one but I believe you're right on the hookup on that one.

Cut the wires off going to the OEM VSS module and wire it directly to the Caspers VSS converter module. The OEM VSS module will NOT be used anymore. What I did was use a weatherpack connector for a clean install. So using Caspers diagram....Brown connects to wire A. Red connects to wire C. Black connects to wire B.

So the the VSS Converter Module becomes the VSS? It's not actually converting the signal from the VSS itself?

Won't we have to keep the OEM VSS for the Cruise Control?

So the the VSS Converter Module becomes the VSS? It's not actually converting the signal from the VSS itself?

Won't we have to keep the OEM VSS for the Cruise Control?

The Caspers feed thru becomes the VSS. The Caspers VSS converter module is still converting the signal into something the ECM understands just like the OEM VSS module. Basically it's replacing the OEM VSS module. As long as the ECM is getting the correct signal from the converter and tach amp then the TC lockup and cruise will function just like stock. Hope that clears it up a little.

We have MPH on the Scanmaster now and lock up.

Got rid of the OEM VSS and wired per Casper's instructions. The confusion on part was looking at the instructions I thought we were supposed to keep the OEM VSS.

Now onto find out why the alky isn't kicking on, why one of the tail lights and the third brake light isn't working.