help me with this 84 grand prix

woofers98

know it isnt a regal but real similar, I have been working with turbo cars for awhile, but havent messed with a regal or anything, I was wondering if their is any good sites out their for performance on a grand prix that has a V6

this motor is throttle body injected and I was looking to see if I can put a multi point injection manifold from a differnt car, and was wondering if I put the exhaust manis on the the wrong sides so I can run piping to drive a turbo so the manifold port will point to the front of the car and put the turbo in the corner by the battery area

You think I be better off looking into swapping parts from other pontiac's, chevy's and gmc's such as typhoons

I am really looking to find any thicker head gaskets to lower compression, find some intake manifolds that will bolt up to run multipoint injectors, and exhaust manifolds to run the turbos,

any info would be great

thanks Ian

It would be a ton easier if you just swapped a turbo Buick engine into your GP, and even that isn't exactly easy. At least that way you're not trying to reinvent the turbo and fuel systems.

Other things you need to consider are the strength of your factory pistons, cam/valve spring specs, ECM/electronic controls & fuel system upgrades from the tank forward. by swapping in a TR drivetrain, many of these things take care of themselves. :)

The only way your car has tbi if its aftermarket. Your car does have an electronic carb though HTH

Your GP has the 4.3 Chevy V6 which is based off of the small block Chevrolet V8. Some of those GP's came with the Buick V6 which would have been carbureted and some like yours came with the Chevy 4.3 V6 which would have been TBI and yes, it is factory....its the same identical set up the Chevrolet Monte Carlos came with in those years.
What you are talking about doing is VERY expensive.
If you must have an OEM Style turbocharged V6 your options are:
84-85 Hot air Buick V6
86-87 Intercooled Buick V6
91-93 Syclone/Typhoon 4.3 Chevy V6
I am not talking about swapping a few pieces. I am talking about swapping complete engines since the 4.3 you have would not take the boost.
The good thing is since your car is already fuel injected, you are ahead of the game since you have the tank and lines already set up. You would have to change the pump in the tank and pretty much everything under the hood. Good luck!

WRONG!!!TBI wasnt out in 84,in any car.So if its got it,its been transplanted or aftermarket. TBI didnt come out till 86 in the monte,I think that was also the year for the first 4.3. HTH

85' was the first year for the 4.3 TBI in the Monte Carlos, and Im pretty sure Grand Prix/El Caminos as well but not 100%. I got my 4.3 gas tank/sending unit and replacement dash from a 85' Monte SC with the 4.3 TBI :).

Just to add my $.02. My books show 86 was the first year for the Chevy 4.3 TBI in the GP. 85 and older would have been 231 Buick with dualjet carb. Eric Fisher