help it want stay running

crazygn

10's here i come
I cant keep this car running , it idles up and down for a few mins and soulds like it idles down to much and dies.then it want strat back up probley bat, or alt maybe bad ex leaks doing it.

ok, this makes 3 people that are having this problem..I too am having an idle up-Idle down problem when the car is cold...if I try to drive the car when it is like this it will back fire from the intake, studder really bad, or just stall.

ANYONE have an answer for this?

its not putting any codes ,iam going to change my stock 85 maf to a 87 with the ecm iam trying to get the maf now but i'll try to unplug it and see what happens. I also think i have a power problem when the car is off i get 10 volts from the bat,when the car is running i get 13.98 volts and the alt is putting out 14.30's volts does this sound good or could me bat be gone, i try jumper cables it has a hard time starting but does when the car dies it acts like the bat is dead and wont start. help i am going crazy

go buy an optima battery.yes,an optima,don't be a cheapass!!!:D

i'm not an ee or anything,but if your battery is sh!tting the bed internally i would think it would screw things up.

where the hell is dan smith?

later,sean

Goin crazy

:D It just may be that the battery is the problem. W/ only 10 VDC in it, Have you tried to charge it overnite and then check it? You may also take it to a PEPBOYS or some other chain parts store and they will pull a load test and tell you whats wrong, if anything. Be sure to "fully charge it" first, otherwise you'll have some waiting time for the test to be done. Sounds to me like a cell, [2.2volts] is a dead player.
Other items:
Cables. You DID hook up the ground to the engine block didn't you??;) They ARE the good cables, right??
The charging wire to the battery is not toasted and running w/ the ends fried?? Same goes for the power and grnd cables. If they are green and corroded up inside the covering, they ARE toast!!
The starter is fresh and working right??

Other problems such as erratic, rough idle and cold start stalling:
Bad MAF.
Air leaks in vac lines.
TPS set wrong.
Temp sensors fried.
Bad connections.[Saw some comment on changing ECM's and Mafs] CHECK ALL THE WIRING!!:eek: How bout the grnd wires on the cyl head??
Burned or loose fuseable links.
Cam sensor is correctly set?
The crank sensor is not junked by rubbing the interrupter ring??
Fuel pressure is right?
Ecm hasn't been rained on thru a dash/ w. shield leak??
Coil pak/ module checked w/ a Caspers tester?? DO NOT rely on a VOM to do this!!;)

Bout all I can think of . Gettin REAL old and have "CRS" setting in.

HTH,
Back under my rock:cool:

Idle control sensor first.....then when it comes up to temp and idle starts osscilating again put a new 02 in it. Had the same problem. And I am still needing to correct my TPS voltage found only by the scan tool. The best 30 bucks you can spend is on a scan tool they are so easy. Your engine light IS coming on right??? Identifying the hard fouls....get ya that scan tool. Eliminates the guess work.

oh yea.....on the battery output issue.....if that thing is all the way up..it will play hell on your ecm and you won't know what you got....I've learned this the hard way!!!!! It jacks with your injection bad..................

I mean if your battery.....ISN'T..... all the way up....it screws the puter.............

I bought a bat to day and it starts right up and runs,BUT it still idles bad i took the plug off the maf and it go worst and died. I turned the screw on the tb [top] out and it idled pretty nice not up and down but when i put it in gear it die it seems like its trying to suck a lot of air to stay running as soon as i put it in gearthe ecm has had water on it before but not in it ,dont think.I got it to go in gear once by luck and the car runs like junk it seems like a 16-17 sec car i was running 32psi at idle and i think the boost hit 11-maybe 12psi boost very slow.i have a lot of mods but no down pipe i dont think it can make this car run what it sould.sould i take of my tps -tec .

ta33 turbo
sperco intercooler
40lb injectors
307 pump
adj reg
LT1valve springs
cone filter
160 stat
87 spark plugs
still 85 ecm w caspers 8 pos chip
posi rear
a little more but iam to sad to write

thanks guys

you know KEV. i was doing a lil figuring and im figuring that about the time i get my i/c motor in the car you'll probly be very upset with your car and im going to need to do some riding on new motor say a 4 1/2 hour ride and i could be there.....huuuuuummm

guess if i do that i'd best bring a scanner..i'll hit ya later about getting that iac/tps crap strait...it'll make a big diff in idle quality..

later.....RED

Thanks guys i need all the help i can get ,by next week i'll have my headers,downpipeand atr uppipe probley make things better to tune with out little ex leaks.