govenor mods

M & D Fairchild

would like some information on how to modify governor for higher rpm upshifts @WOT. The car upshifts @ approximatly 4800 rpms now. The trans is unmodified. I have the gov. out at this time

Drill one 1/8" hole in the lower "light" weight that the spring is behind. Just pick an area off to the side. FWIW, I have about 7 holes drilled in mine and it's strong, but I installed a set screw to hold the spring and had to offset the weight of the set screw; you won't need that many holes. Deburr it well and reinstall. Should get you to 5000. It's a PIA to get this set right, but once you do, it's nice to be done with. Also, might as well install a drainplug since you are likely to have to drill another hole or worst case, service the filter in the spring. Good luck!

Dear John,
Thank you for your timely reply to my question. The information you gave me will come in handy. Will post my results of the modifications when I am done. By the way, I have a 2 qt. cast aluminum deep sump pan with drain plug from ATR. Boy is it handy to have a drain plug!!!
Marty Fairchild

Originally posted by John Larkin
Drill one 1/8" hole in the lower "light" weight that the spring is behind. Just pick an area off to the side. FWIW, I have about 7 holes drilled in mine and it's strong, but I installed a set screw to hold the spring and had to offset the weight of the set screw; you won't need that many holes. Deburr it well and reinstall. Should get you to 5000. It's a PIA to get this set right, but once you do, it's nice to be done with. Also, might as well install a drainplug since you are likely to have to drill another hole or worst case, service the filter in the spring. Good luck!

John,
You are talking about the drilling the larger of the two weights on the governor? I have to raise mine again and this was the side I believe I ground a little off a long time ago.

What I intended to say was reduce the weight of the weight that the spring goes behind. That's the right weight to drill or grind on.