Good 6x9's...

FastB

I need to replace my stock rear speakers and I'd like to upgrade to some 6x9's. Any suggestions? They will be running off the Alpine headunit.

Is it possible to just drill holes and mount them to the rear deck or do I have to get adapters?

I replaced the fronts with some Boston Acoustics...they sound better than stock but my overall sound quailty sucks and doesn't get very loud.
Not looking for perfection just something that I can hear and turn up with out distortion.. ;)

Rick

To be honest, when I changed out the speakers to put in the 6x9s I did not have the adapters so I just used heavy duty thick zip ties. I then finally ordered the adapters and with a little love everything worked out fine.

I finally climbed into my trunk to see what I actually had and I have cerwin-vega 6x9's with the adapters...but they sound aweful. They don't "look" blown up and after doing some research they don't make these anymore.
I'm also wondering about the magnets were just resting on the bars...and I'm sure that can't be good for the speakers.

I have an alpine deck that seems to be working fine but the sound coming from the speakers just don't have any sound quality..almost sounds like those old AM radios...all highs and crappy lows, no midrange.

I'm prolly gonna pick up some new 6x9's and they have some new ones with smaller magnets that might not touch the bars.

I have Kicker KS speakers. Got them for their power handling (hooked up to one of my amps) and their base response. They are three-ways and sound really good for the price. Have had no complaints!

I've got the Kicker RS 6x9's and miss and tweets amped by a Kicker zx350.4 they sound amazing, paired with sub(s) it's amazing.

I just installed some infinity kappa 3 way 6x9's a month ago and they sound nice and clear and crisp I also went the same brand for the component on the doors with a hifonics brutis 800 watt 4 channel amp I just need bass now

Tested my 6x9's...checked the OHMs and did the battery test and they seem to be fine. So, I climbed back into the trunk and started looking at the wiring and how they were hooked up...first problem the connectors were barely connected to the speakers and the worst part is the speakers were wired WRONG... the positive was hooked to the negative and negative to the positive. Also, the adapters are supposed to go in a certain way to conform to the package tray and they were backwards.
After installing everything right...the 6x9's came to life...(as you can imagine)..it still doesn't have the sound I'm looking for but I think I might add a sub later on to balance things out. :cool:

Tested my 6x9's...checked the OHMs and did the battery test and they seem to be fine. So, I climbed back into the trunk and started looking at the wiring and how they were hooked up...first problem the connectors were barely connected to the speakers and the worst part is the speakers were wired WRONG... the positive was hooked to the negative and negative to the positive. Also, the adapters are supposed to go in a certain way to conform to the package tray and they were backwards.
After installing everything right...the 6x9's came to life...(as you can imagine)..it still doesn't have the sound I'm looking for but I think I might add a sub later on to balance things out. :cool:

Congrats on your "lively" speakers:smile: I agree. You need some subs. It is night and day without them and with them. Mine are "older" bazookas with a retro box containing two tweeters. Trust me. Old does not mean "BAD". That being said. If you can position those subs just right the bass will seep into your car beautifully. I luckily got this done. However, It was so much easier with my setup in my '87 IROC.:cool: But with that being sold for my GN...the GN took some thinking and tweaking being a closed off trunk section.

I have a low profile Pioneer 6x9 speaker in mine. The basket is not as deep as a conventional 6x9 speaker and the magnets are not as large. I have them installed with the international brand adapters and they seem to fit well. It takes a bit of patience and some adjusting here and there, but I was able to get them in nice and snug w/o movement. The magnets are just touching the bars, but I think it would be worse if you use conventional sized 6x9's. You could also bolt them up w/o the adapters for more clearance, but I did not want to drill holes. These speakers sound great and have decent base output, much better than the stock 4x10's or even the kenwood 4x10's that they replaced.