Front Mounts

84GNwith87eng

Looking for a front mount IC for a pretty stock '87 motor, i notice eBay has a lot of universal front mounts, but no piping for them.

Does anyone reccommend getting one if it's universal? They're only like $250, but IF i got one, where should I look for piping?

Also, who makes the cheapest front mount for the '86-'87 GN?

thanks

Chris:confused:

Why??

Go buy an alky kit and get some real power! With a front mount you're going to need to upgrade your cooling system (radiator, fans etc), so it will cost more. At most you'll be able to run 1 or 2 more pounds of boost. With an alky kit you can run higher timing and 6-7 more lbs of boost.

Front mount (cheapy) $300
Piping $100
Radiator and fans $250
total $650 (probably more like $850)

2 more lbs of boost = 30 hp
hp per $ = .03 hp

Alky Kit $350 - 500
xtra hp = 100
hp per $ = .28

So, by these rough figures its you'll get approximately 10 times the bang for the buck with an alky system.

www.alkycontrol.com
www.smcenterprises.com

Do some reading about it. With a fairly stock setup (turbo, injectors, intercooler etc) I was able to run a 108 chip and 22 lbs of boost with the smc alky kit to a tune of 12.6 @ around 107 mph, and that is the way I drove it on the streets too. There's nothing like having somewhat high timing and high boost on tap at all times.

I would suggest an alky chip ($50) to take advantage of it though.

I second the alky motion but then again I have that and a front mount because I am a glutten:D Try Razor's kit. You won't be disappointed.

I third the alky kit and second getting Razor's kit. Best bang for the buck on all of the mods I have done. You will love it. I have one one my T-Type and one on my wifes 03 Regal GS.:D
Razor's kit is superior in all aspects!;)

If i go with either kit, should i expect to upgrade anything? The GN is an '84, but it's a pretty stock 87 motor. Will this be ok? How much HP you think the common alkycontrol.com kit would give me?

Any idea?:confused:

The HP increase will depend on how much boost you can add to your motor without getting into the knock zone. Different cars react differently. I went from running 20 psi / 20 deg without alky to 30psi / 24 deg with the alkycontrol.com kit both on 93 octane. So my car acts like it is on the juice with the alky. The key is to have the car tuned properly prior to adding the alky. once tuned in right you can start cranking the boost up and adjusting the spray with the controller. I had to pull some fuel out ie drop fuel pressure with my car. All I can say is the car is like a rapped ape with the boost up and spraying. The alky saved my motor two different times at the track, once when I brain farted on my second to third shift ( I had a stage right trans brake), and the second when my fuel pressure regulator hose blew off at 30 psi. Without the alky the motor would have been toast.