Fresh motor question

vacuum 6

Just install the new motor....

GN1 heads
212/212 roller
Scorpion roller rockers
Comp cam roller lifters
Diamond pistons

I set the lash to zero lash with 1/3 turn tight. The new motor “ticks” louder than my old 100k mile stock motor. To me it does not sound like a loose rocker. Do fresh roller motors tick more than stock flat tappet motors? A buddy of mine had a BBC roller motor and he said it sounds just like the BBC. Is there anything to worry about? Things just need to wear in?

Not uncommon..

Just install the new motor....

GN1 heads
212/212 roller
Scorpion roller rockers
Comp cam roller lifters
Diamond pistons

I set the lash to zero lash with 1/3 turn tight. The new motor “ticks” louder than my old 100k mile stock motor. To me it does not sound like a loose rocker. Do fresh roller motors tick more than stock flat tappet motors? A buddy of mine had a BBC roller motor and he said it sounds just like the BBC. Is there anything to worry about? Things just need to wear in?

Mine did that, and I've worked on others that have. Could be the accel ramp design.
I would not be looking for "things to wear in", expecting the engine to quiet down.
Do your breakin, change the oil, cut the filter open, and call it good.
If you are sure the rockers are adjusted correctly, it's hammer time.:D

BTW, you DO have the correct length p rods, right??

Mine did that, and I've worked on others that have. Could be the accel ramp design.
I would not be looking for "things to wear in", expecting the engine to quiet down.
Do your breakin, change the oil, cut the filter open, and call it good.
If you are sure the rockers are adjusted correctly, it's hammer time.:D

BTW, you DO have the correct length p rods, right??

When the motor was fired up it ticked. I did the 20 min start up thing and cut the oil filter, no metal. I'm sure the rockers are adjusted correctly. I'm currently doing the 500/1000 mile break in. Change oil @ 500 and cut filter open again? I'm assuming the p rods are correct, this is a Cotton motor.

NOT BEING AN EXPERT...I was told by a major engine builder,,,,ZERO LASH PLUS .40 THOU LET THE EXPERTS GIVE OPINIONS

Not sure, whatever Cotton used. Why?

He asked because it makes a big difference.

There are two common types of hydraulic roller lifters, the most common seems to be the 853's and they can take lots of preload, 3/4 turn past Zero Lash seems to work fine, some go more.

Then there are the 868's??? I should know as they are the ones I have, but not positive on that number - they are sometimes called the hi-rev lifter. This one only gets .002" past Zero, it is less than 1/12 turn.

Just called Jack. He said they are the 853s and ticking from a roller motor is common. Thanks guys for your 411.

Shorter

I have a cotton Motor with same set up 212/212 hydraulic and was kinda loud I had other problems but when I got the car back Brian told me they put shorter push rods in it and it was quieter but still ticks I've done searches and most do make noise.:biggrin:
Does run like a bear though