Free Horsepower....Kind Of

turbofish38

Le Pétomane
Hi guys. I've been doing a little work on my 455 project which is based on a 82 Regal coupe. I've ripped out the factory A/C which involved taking the dash out. Since mine had a little heat crack in the vinyl I went ahead and redyed a good used one I had but up until last week I was undecided on whether to stick with the 83 and older style with factory gauges or upgrade to a useless 84 and newer type. The reason on the 84 style was because I had a digital dash set up from a NA I picked up at u-pull-it and my GN and Rivs all have digital so I'm thinking why not? Well after comparing the two I found that the 84 and newer style wiring harness weighs 5 to 6 pounds more than the 83 and older style. I have 5 different harness's to compare it against and the 83 NA weighed the same as a carb-turbo so that wasn't an issue. I also compared 84 analog to the digital and they are also the same weight. GM just put to much BS on the 84 harness to begin with. Now power to weight ratios are all the rage if you are a racer so if you use the old formula 1 pound equalls 1 horsepower equalls .01 in the 1/4(I think this is right?) than a 83 and older car has a 5 HP advantage over a 84 and newer right from the start. Hey I know but its a slow day and I'm stuck at work. BTW,the harness is the heaviest piece of the dash, weighs more than the pad itself.
Eric Fisher

1 lb=1HP

Using that theory, why not just go on a diet, lose 50 lbs, go to the drags in shorts and sandles. You could gain maybe 60 HP and kick butt on everyone. You would be healthy, save money, and not even get greasy or skin a knuckle.

Originally posted by turbofish38
Now power to weight ratios are all the rage if you are a racer so if you use the old formula 1 pound equalls 1 horsepower equalls .01 in the 1/4(I think this is right?) than a 83 and older car has a 5 HP advantage over a 84 and newer right from the start. Hey I know but its a slow day and I'm stuck at work.
Eric Fisher

Eric you must be bored.. your math is off by 99. :p
100=1HD=.01 Well I think so.

Jim