First Trip to the Track

Who Needs 8

Well, I Finally got around to going out to a track to run the car. It's been 4 years since I raced my old GN, so I knew I'd mess up the first couple runs. But it was a combination of me and the car that forgot what it was like to run down the track. LOL Went to the 1/8th mile track in Denton, TX.

I got to the track and put in some 104. The first run I knew the 104 wouldn't have got in the car yet. But between me not having comfort with it, and the 93 still in the fuel lines . . . it was a terrible 9.1373 @ 61.43. I really don't remember if I let out or when, but I do remember ALOT of detonation. The boost was also too high, the turbo link said 20 psi . . . I didn't think it was set that high.

I did a hot run on the second without changing anything hoping the 104 was flowing and ran a 9.05 @ 66; obviously I killed it half way down.

I had a few bad "driver error" runs that I just let off as soon as I knew I messed up. I was still trying to find my "sea legs", or "drag legs".

So I let the car cool off, and turned the boost controller down a quarter of a turn. Ran a 8.6858 @ 81.88 spinning the entire 60 ft. But Hardly any detonation. Ran with 17.5 psi of boost. So the 104 had finally kicked in.

I tried putting the boost back up, because Mark (former owner) ran 20 psi on 104 gas before. So I turned it up a quarter of a turn. Ran and Detonation city again. So I just said screw it, I'll have to get some Dyno time in. I'll just put it back and get myself in the racing groove, and have some fun tonight.

Put it back to 17 psi, and ran the following:
1st run:
60 ft - 2.2127
et - 8.4931
mph - 86.89

(I'm pretty sure I had one other good run, but I can't find the ticket because I remember a 1.999 60 ft. some time during the night)

Best and Last Run:
60 ft - 2.0598
et - 8.2896
mph - 85.63

And then rolling over from the north was some lightning, so I knew I needed to head south, just in case.

So I'm going to talk to Mark about a few things. Take her to the Dyno and play with it. Hopefully I will figure out what I need to do to get it back to 20 psi and run close to Mark's 7.58 @ 92 mph 1.65 60'. :cool:

Hey Maston, how much timing were you running?
As I recall when Mark had the car, he was pretty much out of injector at 20 psi, thats where your knock is coming from. The fuel would have been there the first pass, just going down the pits would have been enough to get the fuel in and its constantly pumping even though your just idling..not like a carb car..hence the reason for the return line.
We had planned to put some 65# inj in his car before he decided to sell it.
You should come out an race with the Buick club next Sat, the 8th out at Redline, lots of guys there that can help tune your turbo Buick motor ;)

Yeah, I wish I could make it out to Redline this weekend, but as usual, I can't make it out. It seems like I'm always out of town or something else has been planned on the club track nights.

About the timing: I know I'm not an expert, but I like to think I'm not an idiot (which I just may well be), but how exactly would I check and/or adjust the timing? I've never even looked, but is there a timing adjuster on the balancer, or is this going to be the Cam Sensor? I know how to change the timing on a cap and rotor motor (duh) and on modular motors (mustangs), but I've never done it on a Buick-6.

I'm going to start shopping for some injectors now. Why was Mark wanting the 65# injectors? Wouldn't 55#'ers do the trick?

The timing is all controlled by whats programmed in the chip. You can check it by looking at your scan tool when at WOT. There is no way to manually adjust it otherwise.
Sometimes chip makers will indicate what the timing is on a littel sticker they attach to the chip if you pull it out of the the little plastic carrier, or sometimetimes it on the inside belly of the chip and you can see it just by removing the chip from the ECM and leaving it in the carrier.

Have any idea what chip is in there? I don't remember what chip Mark ran.
As far as injectors, 65#ers are/were the biggest injector you can get without modding the drivers in the ECM...never hurts to get them too big...also he was going to get them cause thats what I have and I could burn him a chip that would be pretty close to perfect for his setup....
If I can locate my old bin chip files, I could burn one for you if you go with those injectors...my chip now has some crazy fueling for the alky injection and wouldn't work for a non-alky setup.
55#ers are a great injector too, but for the same price you can get the bigger 65 Mototrons. Mototron injectors have been used for marine applications for many years and are manufactured with very tight tolerances, and are a very high quality injector.

Yeah, I do know the chip is custom, and it's programed for 20 degrees. I'd have to ask him who made it though. When I get new injectors, I'll let you know. Thanks for the help.