Finally Converted To Vacuum Brakes

turbojay

I finally got my GN converted to vacuum brakes yesterday. I bought the vac brake kit from "Dino1". Kit included the booster, master cylinder, pedal, filter, & hose.

I've driving the GN about 100 miles since the conversion and I can't believe I waited so long to do this conversion, the new brakes feel awesome, nice pedal feel too. No more brake light coming on and hearing strange noises from the Powermaster motor.

To all out there thinking about doing this conversion, you can't go wrong, just do it. I was planning to do the job myself but wimped out and let a mechanic do it so it cost me a few bucks for labor. The mechanic and I discussed the issue in detail, I provided him how-to's I found on this forum and others...he laughed at me and told me the conversion is very straight forward.

Here's a shot of the new setup.
photo.jpg

Well FU too! :D Would make a much cleaner appearance if you "T"d in right above the PCV valve for vacuum, and then ran the line, out of sight, behind or under the coilpak to the booster. Also, you don't need that filter. ;)

Well FU too! :D Would make a much cleaner appearance if you "T"d in right above the PCV valve for vacuum, and then ran the line, out of sight, behind or under the coilpak to the booster. Also, you don't need that filter. ;)

Ha ha, I get it. I should remove that sticker. We only did it this way because there was an extra port available on the vac block. But I see your point about moving the line out of the way. Thanks for the idea.

Looks nice. Definitely clean up that hose routing. :)
It's always fun completing a project that gives you a positive change!

My hose and filter are in the same place. :p

If I want to clean up something I will take the dried out leaves from the cowl area. :eek:

Don't let them bully you into changing something that looks and works just fine. :cool:;)

Looks just fine to someone who has a garden in their cowl area. :D If I was bullying him, I'd would have told him to buy a vacuum setup years ago when I was the only guy selling them .... lots of them!

Nothing wrong with letting a pro do something like a brake conversion, etc. Glad you're happy.

Hose clamps a must!!!!

I noticed that there are no hose clamps from the filter to the booster check valve. When you get into boost that vacuum line is then pressurized with whatever boost you run. It will most likely work its way off and you will have no brakes. This happened to me 85 mph and cost me a pair of shorts.......not fun........

Quadzilla - I will clamp all the hoses tomorrow. I just noticed that too.

Question for everyone - what is the filter used for? Is that in case dirty air goes into booster from the engine?

It's there in case that line blows off @25# boost, so your engine won't suck up any poop as you're are trying to stop.

So you don't need the vacuum block with the extra port? Just T into the PCV line? EDIT: Just read your how-to! Don't need the block.
Worried that I only pull about 10-12" of vacuum at idle though.
Will that be enough?

My PM motor just went out...again! Time to consider vacuum :redface:

I have a vac break set up and out of the 4 cars I own the Buick has better brakes than any of them. Stands the car on its nose, although I did renew all brake parts and fitted larger front calipers.
Glad you are happy with your install.

So you don't need the vacuum block with the extra port? Just T into the PCV line? EDIT: Just read your how-to! Don't need the block.
Worried that I only pull about 10-12" of vacuum at idle though.
Will that be enough?

My PM motor just went out...again! Time to consider vacuum :redface:

Using the TTA vacuum block will not alot you more vacuum than if you "T" into the PCV line. Your vacuum at idle is low however, and it may cause you a problem with vacuum brakes. Hopefully, other commenters who have dealt with this "low" vacuum will chime in.

Using the TTA vacuum block will not alot you more vacuum than if you "T" into the PCV line. Your vacuum at idle is low however, and it may cause you a problem with vacuum brakes. Hopefully, other commenters who have dealt with this "low" vacuum will chime in.

Thanks!! Hopefully someone chimes in with lower vacuum.

What do people do with large cams (not that mine's big)?? Wondering if manual may be better as I am going to upgrade the front brakes to 12" Baer at some point?

What do people do with large cams (not that mine's big)?? Wondering if manual may be better as I am going to upgrade the front brakes to 12" Baer at some point?
They convert to a known good power master and maintain it so it does not fail. Plus they don't have to buy a trans brake to cut 1.50 60's:p:p:p:p:p:p:p
I have PM with rear disc and I can lock up all 4 if I want to with 255's on the car.