exhaust wrap on downpipe

Mike70gtx

Does the exhaust wrap for headers work on the downpipe, mine is stainless? Would you put it on headers or crossover pipe. I see where some headers warranties are void if you use it. It would seem like you might want to keep it off of the cross over pipe since you might want to get rid of some of the heat down below the motor. Any thoughts, thanks.

For performance you want to wrap everything you can. The more heat you get to the turbo the better it will spool. Obviously you can't wrap the headers because they are too hot and it can destroy them. You can wrap the crossover but if you have any oil leaks it can soak into the wrap and collect over time and start a fire. Oil always seems to find it's way to the crossover. I wrapped my uppipe and half of my downpipe (as far as you can see from up top). This made a noticeable difference in underhood heat. The whole header system is jet hot coated which is great for looks and rust protection but there was no noticable difference in heat. I have accidentally touched the uppipe numerous times with the motor fully warm and not come close to burning myself after wrapping it.

IMO it's well worth wrapping the uppipe and downpipe. It also solved my alternator problem.

I was going to try the same on the up pipe and half of the down pipe to try to keep the heat down. I had a 12s vw bug that i wraped the header and it worked great .let me know what you find out .Alsome stuff lots of money,