Exhaust Recommendations

John84GN

Nice Monte...
I just became the owner of a BONE STOCK 84 GN...in MINT condition. The previous owner promised me that it wasn't driven hard, and made NO modifications whatsoever! I want to have some suggestions on what I need to do to this car to get some more "pep" out of it! I know all about the TM kit, and like most of you out there, I too, don't have the money now...What can I do to get the best "bang for my buck," especially in terms of the exhaust "note". Who has the best sound/power out there...and where/how can I get it. Chips; Headers; Bigger Turbo's...WHAT?!?I want to get some advice from some of you guys because you've already been there, done that! Any advice will help.

John- Hooker has a pretty good system for our cars. Sounds like you got a beauty there. How bout posting a pic of her ?

I'm not sure how much the Hooker system is but I think it's a cat-back (or no-cat-back) and goes for around 450 USD. Check it out. Also - ATR selle a real good stainless exhaust system - including mufflers (like the Hooker system). A lil more cash though I believe.

hey did you happen to get it from paul redman??

where are you at im in newport news..

i like the torqe teck ext if fits real good and i've had some for about 6 years and it dont have a drop of rust on it..

RED

HOTSIX...The pix are at the photo place and will be back tues...thanks for the tip, but do you have any web addresses for these places?!? REDS HOT AIR...No, I'm in Danville, about 3 hrs west of you... The guy I got it from was the original owner, and he bought it with 18 miles on it; when he sold it to me, I got all the documentation, including the original window sticker, and even the "thank you letter" from buick for purchasing the car... thanks for the tips, any more?!?

ditto on the hooker, or the ATR system with an ATR downpipe. Whatever you do, the downpipe (the pipe coming off of the turbo) really makes the turbo build boost faster and makes a large seat-of-the-pants difference. Try a Joe Lubrant chip and new 36# or 38# injectors if yours are original, and then consider the BFH cold air system. That stuff alone should make a massive difference. For more info, my "recipe" is at:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/recipes/hotair2.html

Go with what these guys say they know what they are doing and can help you out alot. Out of all the things i have done to my car i would say the ATR2.5 done pipe is the best perf part for the money 139.00 you cant beat what you get from it .beleave me take your time it might not be to fast now but with a few little mods and the help from the guys on here your car will move.

good luck

buy a part only once...

Buy the best parts for the money...

With exhaust you should go stainless. Unless you want to do it again in 3 years (or less). Those of you with aftermarket headers made from the cheaper piping take a good look at them from the inside the header itself. Within 2 years the toll on them becomes very visible - as they erode inside out.

You can see 13's with stock parts. Additional fuel (replace the stock fuel pump with an aftermarket version offered by any turbo Regal vender 307/340 Walbro) , more boost, sticky tires, and a cheap dump pipe will get you there.

Get a Caspers knock guage and a tuning aid like Turbo Link with a used 386 laptop (buy one cheap on e-bay.

And don't forget..

You need and adjustable wastegate! Mine had way too much boost from the factory..better than 15 lbs.And a knock detector would also help from blowing it up.

Is ATR's DP for the hot air better than for the 86-87 cars ?? Everyone ive talk'd to has had problems w/ the wg shaft sticking. I dont know what your options are for a hot air, but for a 86-87, id go w/ a THDP, no questions about it, hands down.

the atr for hot airs bolts to the stock elbo..
hot airs dont get many choices on d/p's but the atr is a real nice piece big difference from stock..