Engine Swap

01Camaro

First off im new to this site. I have a 2001 Camaro and would like to know if anyone has ever swapped engines from a TTA or GNX to late model Camaro. The kind of things i want to know is if i can keep my drive train. How much should i expect to pay for a rebuilt engine. What year GNX or TTA would fit best. Would my chassis need modification to seat the engine properly, will it even need changes. You can also refer me to another site. Any help would be appriciated and remember, I'm ignorant when it comes to these Buicks. Thanx.

thanks nosjohn. but i want to "waste" my pennies and keep my car. It may not be fast but it looks really good and corners like a Z.

You will have to get a GN motor from turbo to oil pan, wiring harness to computer. You will need a GN tranny. The fbody trannies won't hold up. You will need to beef up your rear end, cause the GN motor will break the fbody rear. Lets hope that you aren't in a state with inspections, cause it won't pass inspection. Do a search on this site about "f-body swap" this has been brought up about 4 times in the last 2 weeks. That will give you plenty of reading. The best swap seems to be into 3 gen GTA f-bodies since the TTA motor and such was built for the GTA car. They even have the holes for the motor mounts!

Re: swap

Originally posted by NOSjohnWE4
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36525

HTH...

some good advice, especially the one about..." save your pennies for a GN/TR"...by the time you put the money and your time or another mechanics time into that swap you COULD HAVE bought a nice mid to high mile GN/TR.

John C.
LedSLED Motorsports

that's not ALWAYS true..i spent about 2,500 to get my motor in and running..not too bad

Even if i spent $3K I haven't seen a nice GN or that low of a price...most of them are trashed :(

No flames here..just saying its not always that expensive..now in his case since the 4thgen never came with a turbo 3.8 i'm sure it'd be a lot more expensive than my swap..but to each his own :)

Re: Re: swap

Originally posted by fly89gta

that's not ALWAYS true..i spent about 2,500 to get my motor in and running..not too bad

Even if i spent $3K I haven't seen a nice GN or that low of a price...most of them are trashed :(

No flames here..just saying its not always that expensive..now in his case since the 4thgen never came with a turbo 3.8 i'm sure it'd be a lot more expensive than my swap..but to each his own :)

$2500 is really cheap. $2500 in most cases is just the motor. That doesnt take into account the trans. You got away using you TH700r4 with adapter plates. The guys with the 4th generation F bodies are not as lucky as they have the 4L60E. They would need to change the trans. What about the exhast, electronics, etc
AND paying someone else to do the swap if they arent familiar with these engines.
$2500 sounds very light to me. Plus, it is not merely a bolt in with a 4th Gen as it was with you '89 model.

yeah good points lee, i did get away pretty cheap, that's why i did the swap instead of going with something like a 355 w/procharger...why spend $2500-3K just for the supercharger alone when i could have an entire engine with more potential :D