engine parts cleaning...

Vendor Defendor

Out the window
i am going to be ripping my friends LT1 apart some time soon in my garage... and so far we have only pulled off one valve cover. inside we found a LOT (almost a .25 inch) much dirt and grime built up in there, so i assume if the heads are this bad the rest of the engine isnt going to be to pretty..

what i want to know is what would be the best to clean that kind of stuff off with... i think at work we use minral spirits in the big wash tanks, but i dont know if i will be able to bring all this stuff to work to clean.. so i was wondering what i can use to clean the gunk off of it with.. i know we also use a lot of brake cleaner, that stuff seems to clean anything off...

what i was wondering what would you recommend using to clean this stuff off with being at home in the garage...

well thanks for the suggestions...

neil

for really grimey stuff, I use oven cleaner, but be careful with aluminum and any decals, strips the begeebees out of everything, I get mine from the $1 store, cheep stuff works best and use it in a well ventilated area

Take em to the carwash to get the majority off. If you can still run the car add a pint to a quart of ATF to the oil, the high amounts of detergent in the ATF will break the gunk down, but watch out the broken loose gunk will clog the oil filter.

Originally posted by Doug Jacobson
Take em to the carwash to get the majority off. If you can still run the car add a pint to a quart of ATF to the oil, the high amounts of detergent in the ATF will break the gunk down, but watch out the broken loose gunk will clog the oil filter.

cant run it, its sitting on a engine lift right now.. heh, but wouldnt taking it to the car wash cause the valves and such to rust? i wasnt planning on rebuilding the heads...

-neil

Brake cleaner works good and evaporates quick to minimize the mess.Gas works good also.;)

Carbon and soot is best removed with GM Top Engine Cleaner. Oven cleaner may work but it contains sodium hydroxide which could alter the metal depending on what it is you are working with (aluminum). A hydrocarbon or solvent based petroleum distillate product works best:D

your gonna need something to put the parts in as you clean them the big aluminum trays you cook huge turkeys in works good .

I scrape/dig out as much sludge with a putty knife or the like then use some stuff called Purple Power with HOT water. Works great and doesnt kill brain cells (not that I know of anyway ;) ). You should be able to find it in any of the local chain auto parts stores. I get the 3 gallon size as its way cheaper by volume than just buying the squirt bottles.

HTH

Originally posted by Vendor Defendor
i am going to be ripping my friends LT1 apart some time soon in my garage... and so far we have only pulled off one valve cover. inside we found a LOT (almost a .25 inch) much dirt and grime built up in there, so i assume if the heads are this bad the rest of the engine isnt going to be to pretty..

what i want to know is what would be the best to clean that kind of stuff off with... i think at work we use minral spirits in the big wash tanks, but i dont know if i will be able to bring all this stuff to work to clean.. so i was wondering what i can use to clean the gunk off of it with.. i know we also use a lot of brake cleaner, that stuff seems to clean anything off...

what i was wondering what would you recommend using to clean this stuff off with being at home in the garage...

well thanks for the suggestions...

neil

Neil,

I've got a new product that is supposed to be excellent at removing/cleaning this type of stuff. Send me your address and I'll shoot you off a little to try. Then you can let me know if its worth a damn. The rust stuff DEFINITELY works. I just haven't tested the cleaner/degreaser stuff.

Alan