Electronic Climate Control

PoorGN86

What other cars have the electronic touch climate control box that would be the same as my 86GN. Also, is it possible to replace it with the manual type if it comes to that? I have my doubts, but I haven't heard a lot of good things about the electronic touch systems.

No other models share parts with the Regal climate control. This system was used on 82-86 Regals only. Some of the smaller componets are the same as Riviera and Park Ave but the big pieces like the control unit and the programer underneath the dash are Regal only. I've never had a problem with my 86 but I have had the dashes out of a couple of Regals and have converted one over to non-A/C and it would be easy to change over to the manual set-up. I dont have the link handy but go over to gnttype.org and look in the resources for instrument panel removal and follow the instructions. You have to remove the dash to get at everything there. From what I can tell the wiring harness' are the same between the two systems so you should be able to follow it to the main power connector by the steering column. All the heater and evaporator boxes and cases are the same. What I would probaly do is go to a U-Pull-It or salvage yard and take apart a Regal with the manual set up to give you an idea on how the car is put together and than compare the two to see what needs to come off your car and what needs to go on. Thanks Eric Fisher

I'm not sure that is correct. I pulled a ECC head unit out of either a Toronado or Riv, I don't remember which, and it is exactly the same as the one in my 84 GN.

According to GM parts catalog this info is correct. Oldsmobile didn't use the touch type control heads and I know the Riviera wont work because I have a few of these cars. The Riv uses 5 individual actuators where as the Regal uses one centralized programmer. Its a possibilty a control head from a RWD Park Ave or Lesabre might work as its system is close to the Regals. As far as part numbers go the Regals is different than any other Buick.

Yes a riviera control head looks exactly the same as the regals, & yes it will bolt into the car the same & the wires will plug into the back of it the same. The rear wheel drive lesabres & electras & wagons also have a control that looks the same. BUT no other control will function correctly in a regal. Only a Regal control will work. The Regal uses vacuum actuators & a programmer, along with the electronics. The bigger buicks are electronic only. Also the Riviera system is slightly different than the full size rear drive cars. There are 3 different systems for the 3 different car lines, & although they look alike the contol units ( & most system parts ) do not interchange . Also, the C68 touch climate system is Buick's design only, so you will never finds parts to fit in an olds or cadi.

Thanks buickron, I was just going to go out and start plugging in all the controls I have just to see if they are interchangable. I had bought one for a Regal on Ebay and when I got it looked just like one of my Riviera's so I thought the seller might have ripped me off. Just yesterday I picked one up out of a 89 Estate Wgaon and it too looked like the Regals. I know Buick wouldn't give them all different part numbers without a reason. Anybody hear of someone trying to rebuild these. The replacements from GM used to be remanufactured but even those are discontinued. Thanks Eric Fisher

Might want to try calling John Spina at Casper's Electronics...I don't know if he does them and have never heard anyone say that he could do them, but it's electronic and John knows electronics...It's a long shot, but give it a try...And then let us know what you find out... :D

To help identify what control unit you have, there is usually an ink stamp number on the back or top of the case , & it will usually include an E, B ,or G. E is riv, B is lesabre/electra, & G is regal . I'm not sure what the other numbers are.
There are 2 bulbs inside that are replaceable, but the one was a special bulb that is discontinued, so you need to find one from a spare control. I don't know of any others repairs that can be done to the control.
As for the original question, converting to a manual system is a huge job. Better to get a service manual & figure out what the problem is,& do some junkyard searching for whatever parts you need.& keep the touch system working.

I should also add, most people seem to think that anytime the touch air system has a problem that the control is bad. There are lots of components in behind the dash. All the actuators & sensors must work correctly. The control also self-tests the system, & flashes a light to indicate trouble. You need the factory service manual to test it all to find where a problem is.

Yeah I never thought about calling John. I wonder if he does because I've lost a few bids on Ebay to him on these parts. The nice thing about the Buick set up is thats it is self diagnosing but you need the factory shop manual and a little experience to figure out what it is trying to tell you. I've got a lot of experience with the Riviera's in that I could probally do it with my eyes closed but I've never had a problem with my GN so it will be a new experience if I ever have to fix it. Thanks for the information. Also the controls have part numbers on them either in ink or as in the case of my Regal burned into the case. There is also build and rebuild dates on half of the ones I have.

HHHHHMMMMMMMM.............. wonder why the head unit that I pulled out of a riviera seems to function in my regal properly???? :D

Maybe the owner of the riviera had previously put a control from a regal into it, & since the system wouldn't propperly he gave up & sent the car to the junkyard, so you accidently got the correct part. Check & see if the control has a " B", " E " or " G " stamped on the back. Only way it will work correctly is if its a regal ( G ) control.