EGR Assembly Removal

Turbonics

I plan to remove the EGR assembly.

What are pluses/minuses?

Will this set the "CHECK ENGINE"light?

How to prevent that?

Can the chip be programmed to "adjust" for having removed the EGR?

Thanks very much for your answers to these several questions!

:)

No SES light is set. Mine was off when I bought my car. I don't suggest it to anyone! I am sweating emissions and may have to bore my passage back out and install the EGR again. I don't think it really gains you anything but may help slightly with knock issues created by the EGR circuit when it doesn't function properly.

Please explain what you will gain by removing the device. I can't imagine the weight savings (from its removal) will be that much of an improvement. It does not function at idle or WOT (anything past 3.75v on the TPS). It also requires closed loop and a specific temp to operate. So basically, under light load conditions (while cruising), it attempts to cool peak combustion temps and reduce NOx, but in the process, will probably reduce light to medium load detonation.

The Champion intake we're installing has the EGR passages filled.

So there seemed no reason to transfer the EGR assembly over to the Champion intake...correct?

Can a chipmaker take into account the missing EGR & help to moderate or compensate for its loss?

Thanks for both replies.:)

yes, but you must let the chip burner know, so he/she may take some timing out.

Turbonics,

We did the same thing (install Champion intake) recently, minus the EGR.

Just let your chipmaker know for your next re-burn.

And, as always, continue to insure your motor enjoys adequate octane to prevent the dastardly detonation and "knock".

Go fast, young man!! :)

I have the Champion intake with tower removed and the EGR blocked. After drilling a .250 hole in the floor to reopen the EGR passage I passed the CA test with no problem. IMO there is no way to pass the CA test without a functioning EGR.