Educate Me

Paul Clark

I don't have a clue what the initials or numbers indicate on turbos.
Thought I knew what T & A stood for, but it didn't relate to car parts. :)
Where can I find an explanation?
Have 009s and the stock convertor. Maybe it would just be easier to suggest a few turbos that would be appropriate for what I have.
Thanks
Paul

in most cases, especially with smaller turbos, the #'s mean nothing.

With a stock convertor a 44/49 works well.

i would step up to a ta60 then when you get a little more cash get a 10inch 2800 stall converter. there pretty cheap. in the mean time it should be ok with the stock conveter. :D

Thanks for the replies.
What about the TA, TE, PTE, and PT designations?
I'm a school teacher. Could I get something from the PTA?
Also confused about exhaust housings.??
Feel free to just tell me to check the archives. Bet this stuff is in there someplace. Just don't know where.
Thanks again.
Paul

You can get whatever you want,just don't be a PITA.:D

could'nt resist.

TA-stock type housing
TE-3 inch inlet,slightly bigger compressor housing
PT-precision turbo(company)

Hi Paul,

There is a nice write up on gnttype.org. In the tech section, I believe. Doesn't cover everything, but does help.... and then when you think you have it all figured out, someone comes out with a new housing or line of turbos! :rolleyes:

Jay is correct. The new GT-series of turbos uses a whole numbering scheme that has nothing to do with compressor wheel size (which is generally what the number after "PT" or "LT" means on turbos sized "60" and greater).

I've been wrestling with this new PT71-GTQ for TSM...and come to find out that a newer design is already in the works.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Paul Clark

I'm a school teacher. Could I get something from the PTA?

Paul

You could ask for a end of the school year party!!! That ALWAYS goes over well. Since you've had to deal with IAs, IEPs, 504s, G/T kids, C/R programs, and APs all year. :)

Lets see

There are two pieces to a turbo ( generally speaking ) the compressor side and the exhaust or turbine side.

The compressor side is the side that sucks in the air. The bigger the compressor is the more air ( cfm ) it will stuff into the cylinders.
The blades on the compressors vary in design to do one thing. Start making boost sooner. The inducer is the tip of the blade that shows through the housing if you were to look at it. The exducer is the other end of that same blade. That point is where the blade pushes the air into the housing and then in the motor. The design of the blades is where much of the engineering occurs.

The turbine or exhaust side is what spins the whole thing. It is this side that is exposed to the exhaust gases. The design of the wheel here is critical as well. The housings used on the turbine side will affect how well the turbo spools. The smaller the housing the faster the turbo makes boost. The trade off comes at the top end of the RPM range. You want a turbo that spools well but will also flow well on the top end. You will find that street cars generally have housings that are .69 in A/R. That is area divided by radius. Race cars will have AR ratios from .81 and up. They want more top end performance and will trade low end response for it.

The third and essential piece of the combination is the torque converter. A 12 inch converter takes longer to spin up than a 9 inch will. Less rotational mass and 3 inches smaller. The benefit of the converter is that you can change the stall speed. The stall speed is important because it is at that given speed that the turbo will start to spool or make boost. Street cars can run a stall speed of 2600 to 3000 and it will make the same turbo spool much faster.

So there are 3 areas to consider about turbos. Most of this stuff is done for you when it comes to buying a turbo. It is the combination of turbo and converter that will make the car really respond.

Hope that helps

Originally posted by Paul Clark
That's why I'm looking for a new turbo.
I don't want to be the child that gets left behind.;)

Hehe.. I feel bad, I left ALL the children behind and came to Germany. :eek: