ECM hit and miss?

irockwithdirt

About a week ago in the rain...........I visited my local boneyard searching for prospective parts for my car. Having seen many 86 front wheel drive olds/buick 3.8 SFI cars I thought I would have no problem finding an ECM for my car. Today I returned to the junkyard..........only to find that all had diffrent service numbers. :confused:

Hmmmm.....They should be the same. :confused:

I got one out of an '86 Cutlass wagon FWD with 3.8. ECM Part number 1227148

Some of those cars came with 3.0 litre engines in them, which look the same but have a different ECM. It has to be an 86 & has to be a 3.8 SFI. Ron Cavanagh, buickron@aol.com

I checked 86 cars with 3.8 sfi engines (per tag on shock tower), and they were diffrent? I am going to go back this saturday to look and I will get the service part # on them. I was confused too :confused:

Just noticed that you have an '84... You might want to grab that MAT sensor and wiring while you're at it. Assuming it's the correct ECM.

Better to ask in the Hot-Air section. I know that I read about a guy that does it, however I'm not sure if there are any other issues by doing it that way (with a resistor).

BTW, I'm still curious about the ECM. :)

ecm's

i had the same problem.... i found one though... even the same cars had different ecm'c i looked in three different 86 riv's and found three different ecm's all 3.6's got relly good at takeng them ot though!! yank the glove box straight down and bang one bolt you're done. . i wonder if the other ecm's will work??

Darkside

I use a resistor instead of mat, a lot more convienent

what resistor do you use and how do you run it??? can i get this a radio shack??

i thought of doing that... makes computer think its 70 degree's all the time right??

Take some 20 gauge wire run one end to C-11 port to one end of resistor and run wire from other end of resistor to D-12, which is the ground for TPS and CTS. Use a 2200 ohm resistor, should run you a dollar at Radioshack. Computer will read this at 76*+or -. Works great on my car.

any problems with htis in the cold weather...?? you wouldn't know because you live in FLA any one else know??

Well, I live in the panhandle of FL and got down below 30* F a few times, but I still had know problems.