Ebay Scamming or not?

jdpolzin

I know this car and the one which had 49K miles that just sold for $20K are owned by a fellow board member and I don't want to slander anybody but:
How does a car that has 49K miles on it and no pictures of the engine bay sell for $20K when there are 3 other cars on there with much less mileage that haven't been bid past $13K? How is it that, there are 3 much lower mileage cars that have been on auction for a few days and only reaching $16K when this 35K mileage car with a dirty engine bay is bid up to $19.5 In a matter of a day? Sounds a little fishy? If these cars are selling ligitly, why are people so dumb to pay that when there are plenty of lower mileage cars all over the internet for less? I know there are dumb people out there but if I was going to spend $20K on a car, I would be doing some shopping and research! I know I'll be getting slammed for this one but I am just making an observation. I just sold my 33K mile car with a multiple award winning detailed engine bay, perfect undercarriage, interior and paint for $17.2. I think that was a fair price and I'm glad to see new TB owners. I dont like to see them get ripped off!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ORIG...oryZ6137QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Lots of issues with eBay-

You really don't know if they come through and acutally pay for the car at that price. Watch for it to be relisted. Or they still buy it but for less than the winning bid. IMO it doesn't constitute fraud, I'm not saying the price was too high on this car...

There are a lot of other factors, too- e.g. if the buyer is in the same locale they may pay 3 or 4k more when they could get a much better deal after cost of transport- but a lot of people don't want to buy across state lines or will just pay a bit more to avoid the hassle or be able to see the car in person before committing.

When it comes down to it, its the marketing and finding the right buyer. If someone is lucky enough to find two buyers that both want that item, you'll see prices like this. I don't think its necessarily a scam. I bid against people for corporate owned houses all the time and people just pay crazy prices for stuff sometimes- in the end they can accept less margin than me or they want the house to live in so they pay more than I am willing.

jdpolzin said:
I know this car and the one which had 49K miles that just sold for $20K are owned by a fellow board member and I don't want to slander anybody but:
How does a car that has 49K miles on it and no pictures of the engine bay sell for $20K when there are 3 other cars on there with much less mileage that haven't been bid past $13K? How is it that, there are 3 much lower mileage cars that have been on auction for a few days and only reaching $16K when this 35K mileage car with a dirty engine bay is bid up to $19.5 In a matter of a day? Sounds a little fishy? If these cars are selling ligitly, why are people so dumb to pay that when there are plenty of lower mileage cars all over the internet for less? I know there are dumb people out there but if I was going to spend $20K on a car, I would be doing some shopping and research! I know I'll be getting slammed for this one but I am just making an observation. I just sold my 33K mile car with a multiple award winning detailed engine bay, perfect undercarriage, interior and paint for $17.2. I think that was a fair price and I'm glad to see new TB owners. I dont like to see them get ripped off!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ORIG...oryZ6137QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
----------------------------------------------
What I read into this is that there are not as many e-bay scams as I had previously thought. To answer any of your questions, you would have to know whether the buyer of the car was a member of this board where the owner had the car advertised just prior to listing it on e-bay, was the buyer familiar with the seller of the car, the seller's reputation of having only high quality cars in the seller's collection, and as a consequence, only selling high quality car when selling a car, maybe the buyer has been to the seller's site where virtually every car there is of outstanding quality. Maybe the buyer even knew the seller. Maybe the buyer even went to see the car when it was advertised for sale. Maybe the other cars are not as well optioned as that car, which I suspect. And it is great that you are happy selling your car for what you sold it for. And as far as the other cars, I have seen a few nice 50K mile cars, but very few, and on the other hand, I have seen a few 10K mile junkers, but there again, very few. That's just my feelings, though, and not a slam. And there are plenty of scams on E-bay. I could tell you a few that I have personally looked into, but I would not want to bore you, and I am sure that anybody that has looked into any e-bay purchasing has come across their share of scams.

jdpolzin said:

Before you go and start bashing me and my cars............
Why don't you actually look at the ads? No pictures of the engine bay?
You must be blind because I and others see many.

Plus I privide a link with more pictures.

Have you personally seen my cars in question? No, I did not think so.

I can assure you that these are not ebay scams.
Get a clue!

Not only that, but have YOU called on any of these other so called "comparable" cars out there that have lower prices??? No?? Well, I have! In the last 10 days I've called on at least a half dozen other cars with less miles and lesser prices than this one, and they all needed LOTS of help. One of them needed paint, and had a frickin' Cutlass spoiler drilled into the trunk lid. Another one had a hood repaint, dents and dings all over, and had bumper fillers with gigantic missing pieces at all 4 corners! Another had a bad heater core, no AC (needless to say), etc etc.

Just make sure you're comparing apples to apples. Nice cars marketed well have more buyers = higher prices.

Once again, as I must point out, I AM NOT BASHING ANYBODY! Get a clue yourself. Read what I wrote. I am curious as to why your cars are selling so quickly while there are cars that have half the mileage yours do that are still being bid on. When you put your mid-mileage cars on there and they sell within 2 days for $20K??? Thats my question. If you want to say "GET A CLUE" find out who you are talking to first.

Why are these not selling or getting bid on so fast:
1. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987...oryZ6137QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T-TO...oryZ6137QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

3. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987...oryZ6137QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

4. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BUIC...oryZ6137QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Check the listing times and follow the bids and the bidding times. Why are people not bidding on these. The 32K mileage car still has original tires on it. I am not bashing anybody, just making an observation. I follow the sales on these cars every day on many websites.

Well, the 1st 1 has t-tops, and reportedly was stored in a temperature controlled garage for the last so many years, is optioned ok, but not a astro-roof car. As a general rule of thumb, t-tops will not sell as well or as high as a solid roof/astro roof car. Where was it stored when it was not stored in the garage?

Ok, now for the 2nd 1. It is also a t-top car. It has a lot of mods, even though the mods are all bolt on. It is a proven fact that bone stock, non modded cars will bring a premium. it also did reach it's reserve, which indicates it has reached the amount that the seller needed for the car, or somewhere close to what the seller felt that it was worth.

The 3rd one also reached it's reserve, indicating that it is at the minimum amount of money that the seller would sell or not sell the car, and might be somewhere the seller thought that it would bring. And although a very beautiful car it probably would have brought more money/will bring more money showing the factory rims & tires, even though it is stated that the originals go with the package. Not slamming the car, just my opinion.

jdpolzin said:
Once again, as I must point out, I AM NOT BASHING ANYBODY! Get a clue yourself. Read what I wrote. I am curious as to why your cars are selling so quickly while there are cars that have half the mileage yours do that are still being bid on. When you put your mid-mileage cars on there and they sell within 2 days for $20K??? Thats my question. If you want to say "GET A CLUE" find out who you are talking to first.

Why are these not selling or getting bid on so fast:
1. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987...oryZ6137QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T-TO...oryZ6137QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

3. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987...oryZ6137QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

4. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BUIC...oryZ6137QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Check the listing times and follow the bids and the bidding times. Why are people not bidding on these. The 32K mileage car still has original tires on it. I am not bashing anybody, just making an observation. I follow the sales on these cars every day on many websites.

You must be an "expert" if you follow the sales of these or any other cars on Ebay. So... you don't rely on CPI, NADA, Black Book, KBB, Old Cars Weekly News & Market Place or in house auction results? Do you subscribe to any of these? Let me know if you need any help with the abreviations. Next time I decide to sell a car, I will contact you for you to help me.

Actually I do subscribe to every one of those magazines. I am also a member of 3 different Buick clubs. I am not an expert at all. Just making a general observation. I do not sell many vehicles on E-bay. I am not the kind of person that worries about getting top dollar out of my vehicles. I enjoy them and then give someone else the opportunity to enjoy it. I would like to figure out how people are getting such high prices on E-bay myself. Your cars have sold in a couple days for top dollar while there are other comparable cars on ther that haven't sold yet. If you do know the buyers, why would you go through E-bay?

So how do you do it? Obviously the 2 cars were very very nice cars and very highly documented wich is awesome. I am getting ready to sell my 39K mileage car. The car is in the shop right now getting re-painted, and a very very nice paint job at that. The car had some bolt-ons when I bought and the tranny is built with a D5, stall, and shift kit. I have since put the motor back to completely stock, will be putting stock exhaust back on, and I am not sure about the trans because of the labor involved. How can I get the interest that you have? What is the process? I noticed after the bidding went up, you added a Buy It Now. Which is how both cars sold. Is that the key, set a reserve? I am just blown away that a 49K car can sell for $20K in 2 days when there are much lower mileage cars on the same page for sale. That 15K mileage car is an amazing car, plus you get a bonus of a set of $1500 wheels with the car! Once again, I am not BASHING YOU or anyone for that matter. I WANT TO MAKE THAT CLEAR! I am just blown away at the quick top dollar sales. Anyone will admit that $20K for a 50,000 mile car in 2 days is odd. Barret Jackson doesn't impress me all that much. Why would anybody ever pay $34K for a car plus the 8% when they can get on the net and find something very similar for half of that. Plus, I'm sure they are paying sales tax when the car is registered. I see that as very deep pocketed people with more money than brains.

jdpolzin said:
So how do you do it?

Steve has a reputation for not selling junk.

If he lists a car on E-bay, people know what they are getting.

I'll bet Money people have "orbitjudge" on their E-bay favorite sellers list so when he posts a car, actual buyers (and not lowballers and tire kickers) take notice.

jdpolzin said:
So how do you do it? Obviously the 2 cars were very very nice cars and very highly documented wich is awesome. I am getting ready to sell my 39K mileage car. The car is in the shop right now getting re-painted, and a very very nice paint job at that. The car had some bolt-ons when I bought and the tranny is built with a D5, stall, and shift kit. I have since put the motor back to completely stock, will be putting stock exhaust back on, and I am not sure about the trans because of the labor involved. How can I get the interest that you have? What is the process? I noticed after the bidding went up, you added a Buy It Now. Which is how both cars sold. Is that the key, set a reserve? I am just blown away that a 49K car can sell for $20K in 2 days when there are much lower mileage cars on the same page for sale. That 15K mileage car is an amazing car, plus you get a bonus of a set of $1500 wheels with the car! Once again, I am not BASHING YOU or anyone for that matter. I WANT TO MAKE THAT CLEAR! I am just blown away at the quick top dollar sales. Anyone will admit that $20K for a 50,000 mile car in 2 days is odd. Barret Jackson doesn't impress me all that much. Why would anybody ever pay $34K for a car plus the 8% when they can get on the net and find something very similar for half of that. Plus, I'm sure they are paying sales tax when the car is registered. I see that as very deep pocketed people with more money than brains.

I put as much detail as I can without putting people to sleep when they read it. :) I take very clear pictures to show all the details too. This certainly helps.
You have to disclose everything about the car. Mods, work done etc. History plays a big role in these cars, especially when these cars are getting to be 20 years old.
People searching out un-touched cars, search these cars out with a history on them.
Hope this helps, not trying to bash you either.

Thanks for your responce. I do appologize if I am coming off in a negative manner. I spend a lot of time, as well as everybody else does I'm sure, searching for every bit of info on these cars. It's amazing how in the past 3 years, these cars seemed to have gone up by 1/3 in price. When I first started looking for one, I could by a well documented low mileage car for around 12K. Now they are 20K. It sucks for newcomers who are not wealthy but is good for people who already have them. Either way, you have to spend money to get one of these cars. E-bay seems to be pretty fishy sometimes. You see a part sell for $200 and then the samething sells the next day for $50 and vice versa. I sold my 33K car on Ebay but canceled the auction because I recieved a phone call from a very nice guy who never had one and was fairly local willing to pay what I wanted out of the car. I talked to him for probably 3 hours 2 different nights about the car and could tell he wasn't going to try to make money off of the car and just really wanted a nice car for his 1st GN. He was going to take pride in the work that I did as well and I appreciated that. I did not want a guy to buy it and try to make money. I turned down offers of the same as I sold the car due to that fact. The 49K car was defiantely a nice car, I just can't believe it brought that much money that fast when there were others out there that were probably a better buy. Sometimes I dont thik E-bay buyers are the smartest buyers out there. Congrats on both sales! Hopefully I didnt pis$ anybody off!! Just trying to make observations and conversations! Where is our market going to be in 5 years. Barret Jackson and E-bay make it a lot harder for the common man to get their hands on a nice car at a nice price!

jdpolzin said:
Barret Jackson and E-bay make it a lot harder for the common man to get their hands on a nice car at a nice price!

The "common man" should learn to buy cars when nobody wants them and then hold onto them.

I paid $7500 for my '71 'Cuda340 convertible with 54K miles on it.

I paid $6500 for my '70 Cuda440-6 with 27K miles on it.

At the time I bought both, people thought I "paid too much".

I paid $13K for an '86 GN with 24K miles.

I like to think I know what I am doing.