Difference 86-87

T

Tom R.

I'm looking into buying an 1986 G.N with 11K on the OD. I know that the 87's are more desireable. What are the differences that make the 87's so much more desireable than the '86 version? :confused: P.S. I know that there is a difference in HP 235-245 and that GM corrected the paint problem in late '87...anything else?

Other than a few minor appearance changes I don't think that there is any difference. Even though GM advertised different HP those years I think it was most due to politics with the Corvette and not due to any actual changes to the car.

The main differences are the grill, the door pull straps are black on an 86 and gray on an 87 (I think I have that right) and the headliner in the 86 is grey. The motors are identical for both years 86 was rated at 235 HP 335 Torque, 87 was rated at 245 HP and 355 torque. Actual dyno tests proved these cars were underated to comply with the "unwritten" rule that no car made by GM can have a higher HP rating than the Corvette. Typical dyno testing they put out around 270 HP. Not bad for a "stock" V6 in the mid 1980's.

if 87's are "more desirable" it would only be because they are 1 year newer....the 86's are much rarer since only 5000 or so were built compared to 20K or so 87's....the cars are mechanically the same

I was under the impression that the 86 was the most desireable because their are fewer of them????

86 vs 87

The newer ones are much more desirable because they are much prettier. Especially in white, with the Astroroof.

An '86 with 11K actual miles on it would be killer. '87's are "worth more" because every "me too" and his brother bought one and stuck it in a garage somewhere so there's LOTS of them with 100 miles on them. This makes the bluebook numbers go out of wack (KBB doesn't take into account people buying cars and putting them away for ten years).

In identical condition (miles, options, etc.) an '86 is worth exactly the same as an '87.

Not if you're runnin' right! They should only see your taillights.

Originally posted by nicky6
does a blacked-out grill make much of a difference?
:)

If you don't like the grille you can always put an 87 one in it! The lower mileage car you can buy the better. Might cost more but you don't have to worry about getting paint and body work done and can put your money into buying go-fast parts!:D

Hey Mark, I'm probably gonna buy an '86 with 11K. I'd like to get into the 12's so I can take care of most of the trash on the street. What would you recommend? I want to retain the stock wheels in the process.

Originally posted by BuickGn Boosted
If you don't like the grille you can always put an 87 one in it! The lower mileage car you can buy the better. Might cost more but you don't have to worry about getting paint and body work done and can put your money into buying go-fast parts!:D