Dial Up Problem SLOW, help me out.

Yedi

ya, the Monte over there.
Hey guys, I fiannaly got moved into the new house and set up the computer, and the connection sucks for dial up, 26.4kbps! At my old appartment I was pulling 42.6k. My parents live a block away and they have AOL and are getting 48k, my uncle lives 2 blocks away and he is getting over 50k.

I have tried 3 differnt ISP's and they have all connected at the same speed, what can I do to get my speed up? any other tests to determine where the problem is? thanks so much.

A long shot....

My baud rate increased when I inspected every telephone jack in the house for wires that were loose or shorting against the wrong terminal.

Call AOL help @ 800-827-3338 and ask them to talk you through the best modem and adaptor installation for your setup, that may help too.

I went from 46.6 kbs overnight to 24.4kbs....The telephone company put a limit to the rate.

Have DSL now with a community wireless connection between several houses :D

My in-laws have a dial up like that. The phone company said it was the wiring in the area and that they wouldn't do anything about it. They only guaranteed quality enough for 24kps. Here, we started getting a crackling in the line after thunderstorms that the phone co. could never get fixed right. My speed and connection would go down to about 24-26kps. When I switched to DSL to try to make the best of it, the noise doesn't seem to affect it and it's a reliable connection. Go figure. Might check on that.