Debunk another GNX myth

tb3

elbows & a$$holes
I know some of them are silly but I thought I'd post this just to see if maybe. When I was filling my tank a couple months ago a kindly older chap approached me and was complimenting me on my car. He told me he worked the g-body line until they closed the doors. and mostly worked interiors, installing dashes,insulation and "gassing"??? the insides before most of the inside pieces where installed. Had enough information he described that I do believe he actually did work on the line. He says there where approx. 10 GNX's that where sent from birth straight down to Chicago (area) and mothballed, covered and stored with 0 miles for whatever reason. Is he full of goo?

nope! You must have gotten a differant batch, these went to chicago. :D

I guess I should add that supposebly they are still unacounted for.:confused:

Ive heard this similar stroy but for other rare cars. Supposedly GM has a wherehouse somewhere that is all but forgotten that is lined with all kinds of 60's Vettes, Camaro's and such that were left over stock from previous years or something so they were sent to this wherehouse and there they still sit intouched. Supposedly only a few people know that this place exists, and that it is from so long ago that GM no longer knows that they have it.

i heard of two in nyc

a friend of mine told me about 2 consecutive # gnx's that belonged to a guy in nyc. the story goes like this . he bought them new and had them shipped to his place in the city somewhere. There they sat with maby 1 mile on each of them until he and his wife started the divorce case. He apparently sold the two cars to a friend of his for 5000 dollars. no typo 5000 for both. Apparently he didn't want the wife to get the cars in the end. After that I lost the story and havn't heard about it for a long time. My friend who told me about then said he seen the cars covered in the garage and jacked up off the wheels this was back in 1989 1990. All I can say is if this story is true I wish I had the cash at hand back then and I wish I knew the guy..... don't remember the #brs of the cars...

Ive heard this similar stroy but for other rare cars. Supposedly GM has a wherehouse somewhere that is all but forgotten that is lined with all kinds of 60's Vettes, Camaro's and such that were left over stock from previous years or something so they were sent to this wherehouse and there they still sit intouched. Supposedly only a few people know that this place exists, and that it is from so long ago that GM no longer knows that they have it.

Is this place called Heaven?:biggrin:

I woud bet my life there are several such places that exist with 0 mile muscle cars. Maybe not affiliated with GM, or Ford, Chrysler directly. But for everybody who has such gems tucked away and likes to brag about it, think of all the people who don't care to brag.

There's a guy in North Dakota that has a warehouse full of muscle and collector cars. Not all perfect but decent. Sells a few once in a great while. Also a guy here where I live I hear stories about a guy that has a morten shed full of camaros,vettes, a cuda, someone told me he might have a few buicks too. Don't know exactly where it is, but I got a feeling it's down by the railroad tracks by the highway where the Starsky and hutch edition grand torino has sat out front for the past 10-15 years. I'm pretty sure there are alot more private collections out there than what everyone thinks. These people probably just don't tell anyone about them because they don't want people like me trying to buy something off them! Just some food for thought I guess.

Ok, not GNX related, but TTA related.

I was having a really bad night (long story) and I was in my car as I pulled up to a 7-11. I get out and this guy is coming out of the store with a smile on his face. He says, "Nice TTA. [blah blah] I've got one also." Oh yeah, I say. "Yeah, but mines sitting in storage with 14 miles on it. It's still got all the plastic inside and factory stickers that they usually take off at the dealership."

Well, at the time because of the situations that were going on that night, what he said didn't even dawn on me until I got back in my car and he was long gone. I wish I had asked him more about it. But I didn't :frown:

And I love the story of the "The Lost Corvettes of Brooklyn"

According to the shipping destination list that I have from ASC. The rumor is wrong. I've got the list of what dealer each GNX was shipped to.

Joe

Grand Nation is correct is his assumption. well partially anyway. do an archive search in Hot Rod magazine and they will tell you exactly(as much as GM would allow) what is in their warehouse. it does exist but its whereabout s will never be known to the general public. it was rumored in the mid 90s that for a small fee LMAO, you could be taken to this warehouse (blind folded i assume)LMAO. but like i said, only a supposed rumor. i know a good source, i think his name is Reggie Jackson, would probably know as to what they have in it. odds are though none of it is true. as far as anyone knowing whats in it, to my knowledge up until 84 they stored 1 car of every model in it. must be a big warehouse. anyway thats my take on it.

10 GNX thing.

I was told that a dealer here in the Chicago area was buying up GNXs from all over the country. For some reason I thought it was Rick Lynch of Lynch Buick, but I asked him about 6 months ago and he said it wasnt him, but I think he said he thinks it was the owner from Castle Buick (Suburb outside of Chicago)that was GNX crazy and buying them all up to store away. Who knows.

It was Castle, I used to live in Chicago and took my GN there for service late in the 87 model year, as they were the hotbed for turbo regals at the time. At that time he had 23 Grand Nationals and 6 GNX on the lot. He was buying them from every dealership he could. At that time he was starting in the low 20's for the GN's, and I believe around 50-60 thousand for the GNX's.

I was told that a dealer here in the Chicago area was buying up GNXs from all over the country. For some reason I thought it was Rick Lynch of Lynch Buick, but I asked him about 6 months ago and he said it wasnt him, but I think he said he thinks it was the owner from Castle Buick (Suburb outside of Chicago)that was GNX crazy and buying them all up to store away. Who knows.

My GNX came from Lynch Buick. He bought it from a dealer in Ohio and sold it to the original owner. I am the third owner of my GNX.

Loren Buick in Glenview, IL had a GN or GNX in the showroom deep into the 1990's. They also sponsor some car shows at their dealership. I wonder if they still have a "few" left?

I want to correct my earlier post, it was Loren Buick, not Castle that had all the GN's & GNX's.

I know, but I was looking at some of my paperwork from my first GN, and it was loren that I took it too, and they had a lot of GN's & GNX's.