Dash Plate- Speaker cover for 87 GN

Marc87GN

Mine crack really bad and now that I have Kirban braces everywhere, that shouldn't be a problem going forward.

Will buy immediately if Top dash plate has Zero cracks and in great condition. I would like a picture of both sides if possible to validate that it has zero cracks.

Marc

Originally posted by Renthorin
FYI - you can still get these new from GM but you have to paint them to match your dash.

I'm aware of this and i also spoke tothe company slling one on Ebay. The problem is matching the paint of the 17 year old interior is not that easy. I have seen one done that a person at a ady shop did and I wasn't impressed.

I would rather get one out of a GN that wasn't cracked. Worse case, I would buy a new one and have it painted. Does anyone know the exact color(s) they have used to paint it?

Originally posted by Marc87GN
I'm aware of this and i also spoke tothe company slling one on Ebay. The problem is matching the paint of the 17 year old interior is not that easy. I have seen one done that a person at a ady shop did and I wasn't impressed.

I would rather get one out of a GN that wasn't cracked. Worse case, I would buy a new one and have it painted. Does anyone know the exact color(s) they have used to paint it?

Damn wireless keyboard batteries died.

Is your interior that bad that a brand new part would make it better? I doubt you would find one NOT cracked.

Seriously, the latest speaker grilles(top plate) have been coming molded in a gray that is real close. The older ones came in a blue that needed painting. If not take whats left of your old one and have the color matched at the local body shop supply. I think the SEM spray paint every vendor sells is a spot on match too.

Originally posted by turbofish38
Is your interior that bad that a brand new part would make it better? I doubt you would find one NOT cracked.

Seriously, the latest speaker grilles(top plate) have been coming molded in a gray that is real close. The older ones came in a blue that needed painting. If not take whats left of your old one and have the color matched at the local body shop supply. I think the SEM spray paint every vendor sells is a spot on match too.

I actually called a few places and all of them come with the blue color. So I placed an order with kirban and ordered the plate, grey interior paint and bought a few other items. With all of the kirban bars in, I'm sure the next one won't crack. I installed the front braces and didn't realize how much these cars flexed until I drove it afterwards.

U.V. from sunlight and 18 year old brittle plastic is why those peices crack. I don't believe the car flexing has anything to do with the cracks.

Plastic will flex without cracking.

But I could be wrong although I did see one that was cracked on a 20k mile car that was garage kept.

So who really knows, it could be a ploy by GM to keep us buying new ones. I mean why haven't they discontinued them. Kinda makes ya wonder? And whats up with them all being blue, surely they made more gray ones than any other color?

But I'm not into conspiracy theories or anything. :D :D