crank ?'s

ecmo92

Well, the machine shop is saying that the crank is no good now. Where the rods connect is bent, which is why we could'nt get that .015 clearence. Is this a common thing? They were talking to the shop owner from the build up article in Hi-tech and thats when they came up with the bad crank theory. He told them to look for a 4.1 crank since they are the same and they wont charge you a arm and a leg for it. Is this true? The machine shop had a NA 3.8 crank in the shop and it supposedly had the same problem as my turbo crank. Are they being alittle to picky? I mean, I would rather be safe than sorry, but I dont want to wait another year while we search for the perfect crank!:mad:

I don't understand your statement. Do you mean .015" clearance for the rod side clearance? If you plan on going a long time on one rebuild it may be worth trying to find one with little wear but you will also need rods in the same condition. For racing purposes and in my case I just check to make sure it isn't excessive and go with it. Worked so far!

Sorry, yes I meant the rod side clearence. The best they could get was .0016. Its really hard to find someone around here that knows buicks. The shop doing my motor is a Sy/Ty shop. Not as many similarities as they thought their would be......... But any way after the first motor only lasted 1,000 miles their being alot more carefule this time.

Is this bent crank legit? Or are they being to perianoid? Has any one eles had this problem?:confused: :(