Converter Noise Question/Help Needed

bishir

Serenity Now
I was working late tonight to put in my CK Stg 2 transmission and converter. Anyways, when I installed the converter onto the transmission I started to turn it once it was fully seated and it would spin freely then seem to catch infrequently with a grinding/rubbing sound. Again, this is with the transmission setting on the table, no fluid, with the convertor on it and spinning it. Is this a normal sound?

I want to double check before I install the transmission tomorrow. This sort of put halt to my night.

BTW, I can post a video in the morning if needed.

Try this

Pull convertor back off and see if there are any marks on back side of convertor. Look inside front of pump and you will see the 2 ears on the rotor. With some kind of dull tool (maybe plastic) reach through and rotate the rotor and see if it hangs. IMO it should spinn freely or @ least not have a tight spot.

some converters bottom out on the pump and pull out and away from it when they bolt up to the flywheel.this is normal .just be sure the converter mounting pads are at least one inch below the bellhousing mounting flange when the converter is installed on the trans.you can easily measure this depth with a straight edge across the bell and a tape measure.

some converters bottom out on the pump and pull out and away from it when they bolt up to the flywheel.this is normal .just be sure the converter mounting pads are at least one inch below the bellhousing mounting flange when the converter is installed on the trans.you can easily measure this depth with a straight edge across the bell and a tape measure.

Thanks for the fast reply Chris! I was hoping you'd reply as I didn't want to call you on a Sunday. :redface:

I'm pretty sure it's an recessed an inch past the bellhousing, but I'll measure just to make sure and give a followup post. (I hate when I search and there are no followups). :smile:

Yep, I measured and it's recessed an inch or more. Can't wait to see how this thing performs. :)