Concerned With Clearance and Endplay Numbers

GNDriven

I am concerned that the inexperienced engine builder that I used to build my 3.8L 109 turbo engine was setup incorrectly. He did all machine work and assembly.

I am looking for comprehensive list of the clearances and endplay measurements that a 109 turbo engine should be setup with. Main, Rod, Crankshaft, Camshaft, Piston Ring Clearances, Etc. Engine has a stock crankshaft, stock rods, Steel caps, TRW's pistons. Engine is weekend driven and is intended to be in the 550-600Hp range. I am going to take these numbers and compare them to how the engine is setup currently. I know I should have consulted you guys before hand.

If his setup numbers are inconsistant I wonder what approach I should take before trying to run the engine? Thank you for any help.

Here's what I would recommend. Opinions will vary.

Main and rod clearance .0015-.002"
Piston to bore clearance .005"
Ring end gap .022" top and 2nd.

Neal

I am concerned that the inexperienced engine builder that I used to build my 3.8L 109 turbo engine was setup incorrectly. He did all machine work and assembly.

I am looking for comprehensive list of the clearances and endplay measurements that a 109 turbo engine should be setup with. Main, Rod, Crankshaft, Camshaft, Piston Ring Clearances, Etc. Engine has a stock crankshaft, stock rods, Steel caps, TRW's pistons. Engine is weekend driven and is intended to be in the 550-600Hp range. I am going to take these numbers and compare them to how the engine is setup currently. I know I should have consulted you guys before hand.

If his setup numbers are inconsistant I wonder what approach I should take before trying to run the engine? Thank you for any help.