Coil pack?

V6POWER

My car was backfiring/bucking so I ordered new coil pack and ignition module. The two parts arrived but the coil pack arrived with a broken spark plug tower so I returned it for a replacement. While I was waiting I installed the new ignition module with the coil pack that was on the car. The car ran fine so I'm assuming that the ignition module was bad, not the coil pack. I put a meter on the coil pack and got 11,3xx, 11,5xx and 11,7xx. My new coil pack just arived and when I put the meter on it, using the same ignition module, it only read 11,3xx, 11,3xx and 11,5xx. Shouldn't the new coil pack have read higher than the old one? Is this coil pack not that good, even though new?

thats not to far off, if its running fine now return the other 1 and get your 100 bucks back.:D

Can't return the new one since I have already bent the tabs when I connected the wires. Guess I have a good spare. :)

Originally posted by Look Quick
My car was backfiring/bucking so I ordered new coil pack and ignition module. The two parts arrived but the coil pack arrived with a broken spark plug tower so I returned it for a replacement. While I was waiting I installed the new ignition module with the coil pack that was on the car. The car ran fine so I'm assuming that the ignition module was bad, not the coil pack. I put a meter on the coil pack and got 11,3xx, 11,5xx and 11,7xx. My new coil pack just arived and when I put the meter on it, using the same ignition module, it only read 11,3xx, 11,3xx and 11,5xx. Shouldn't the new coil pack have read higher than the old one? Is this coil pack not that good, even though new?

you can actually test the coil pack off the car...as long as the meter reads in the 11's then it's good...your coilpack seems good, i think casper's makes a coilpack and ign module tester for like 60 bucks or something...might want to give them a call

You are testing coil resistance and the rule of thumb that Ive always followed is that it should be between 11k-13k (ohms). The lower the resistance [within that spec] would actually be better I would think.
I have also recently heard from someone who just went through replacing his coil/mod that he was told by whatever parts store he was at (after looking up the info) that spec was between 11k-14k resistance. Im thinking they probably mean 11k-13.99k and not in the 14s but I dont know for sure.

I'm looking to swap out the pack and module as well. I'm fairly new to my 86 T-Type...is it recommended you stick with stock replacements for these 2 parts? Can anyone recommend me a place to buy from?

Thanks.

I purchased mine from John's Performance (1-866-284-2586). However, the local Advance Auto Parts had the AC Delco coil/module in stock for the same price.

Being Invironmently conscience and cheap, I just get them off of Vin C, 87 FWD'er from a junkyard. $50 gets a module and coils.
I went this route after having problems with the Wells units.

Originally posted by bruce
Being Invironmently conscience and cheap, I just get them off of Vin C, 87 FWD'er from a junkyard. $50 gets a module and coils.
I went this route after having problems with the Wells units.
Bruce, is the plug not different on the module? I recently swapped out a faulty coilpack on my girlfriend's vin "C" '88 Olds NinetyEight for one of my TR ones I had sitting, I knew they were the same. However, before doing so I was trying to test with my Casper's ignition simulator and could not get the plug to go into the 3800's ignition module :confused:

87vinC isn't a 3800. it's a fwd 3.8. The 3800 stuff is a typeII ignition, and 87 and earlier stuff won't work with it.

Originally posted by jastrckl
87vinC isn't a 3800. it's a fwd 3.8. The 3800 stuff is a typeII ignition, and 87 and earlier stuff won't work with it.
3800 started in '88 with the c3I typeI ignition. TypeII wasnt till a few years later, not sure of exact year (I think '92). I have a completely original 240,000 mile 1988 vinC 3800 car with the same magnavox coil pack/typeI system as our TRs. If you look it up at a parts store the same part# will come up for both.