? Code 42 ?

Phatman

Senior Irish Member
My car is sick, my son was out in it and brought it back to the shop sick. I ran the codes and came up with code 42 which is not clearly described in my books.

The car seems to be feeling better now, however still shows 42 on the SM2. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? TIA....

:cool:

Thanks Steve....

I have been experiencing random times of the old girl shutting down, but she would start right back up and go on her merry way. I had never noticed any loss of power and had never had a code sent before.

I did have a what was supposedly to be a known good ECM crap out after about 20 miles on the interstate last month. I limped back home and installed my old one and it has seemed to be fine since. I do have another upgraded one I can try and I'll give the whole system a once over to see if I come up with anything that jumps out at me.

Thanks, and if you think of anything else let me know, I'm sure I'll still be leaning over the fender. You know it takes us Florida crackers awhile for things to sink in....;)

Reseat the prom, maybe wiggle the connectors on both the ecm and the coil pack......clear the computer and see if it is gone or comes back again. codes 42& 43 are always a pain.

Steve.....you may just be on to something.

I haven't had a chance to look till this today, I was going to take it back to the shop and check it out. She ran fine for me Friday, seemed a little down on power, brought her home and parked her in the shade over the weekend.

I went to go to the shop today and when I started her up, she sounded like she was running on 4 cylinders, poped and shut down.

I unpluged the ecm, checked the connection at the coil pack, checked the connection at the ecm and if I'm not mistaken the wire that the knock gauge (b7) is connected to seemed a little loose. I wiggled it around and she started right up, then as I started to pull away, crapped out again. I wiggled it in and out a little more and she seems to be fine now. I think a little closer look may be in order.

Thanks......