Chevy 327 break in question/prob?

fullahotair

A friend of mine just got a 327 from his engine builder. It is a completely redone engine (bored, pistons, edlebrock Rpm top end kit). The builder broke in the engine on the stand for him, supposedly ran for about an hour or so. We saw it run, seemed to run quite well. So we get the engine home and in the car, pull the plugs to install in the headers and note that the #1 cyl. spark plug was brand new/never fired. Since the builder set the timing, i can only gather that the plug wire (new msd wires) just wasn't connected well to the plug. Now we got the engine running, and we get a lot of blow by - there is oil coming out the front and back of the intake (builder used silicone, instead of the rubber gaskets). I actually saw the oil "bubbling" out the front, and leaks out the back enought to make puddle at the back of the engine, and then pour onto the headers....It is far more than a weeping gasket.

So my question is...do you think there is damage down to cyl #1 since it didn't fire for the 1st hour of its life during break in at the builders?

Thanks!
Nate

So my question is...do you think there is damage down to cyl #1 since it didn't fire for the 1st hour of its life during break in at the builders?
Thanks!
Nate

So this builder ran it on the bench for an hr or so on 7 cylinders and never once questioned it? you saw it run? but you stated HE supposedly ran for about an hour or so. ...seemed to run quite well eh? supposedly means you took his word for it that he ran it on the bench but never saw it... im lost on that one. what is quite well if its only running on 7? that is the question I would like to know?... as far as damage? well its leaking everywhere so assume the worst.

man thats a toughy

thanks for the reply...

sorry it was confusing. The builder broke the engine in for an hour before we got there to pick up the engine. We showed up to get the engine, he ran it once more for us while we there for a few minutes.

We checked the cyl press. on cylinder 1 and 3. Both were about 150 psi. We also checked the timing, which is completely out of whack at 50 degrees?!!?! yeah i thought i was doing something wrong, so I had my neighbor come over who is a Master Mechanic for Harley Davidson, and confirmed the timing with his own timing gun.

We haven't messed with anything, since we picked up at the engine shop, since my friend payed for a turn key motor....this way when he shows up to look at it, we can say we didn't screw with anything...

My neighbor also confirmed it was knocking.... i guess my friends question is to what extent should he ask the builder to assess what damage has or hasn't been done to the engine, since the builder set it up this way.

What would you ask the builder to do?

I suppose he'll probably fix the timing and say its all good now, but any suggestions on what test you have him to see if there are any resultant issues?

Nate

yeah it was confusing, i was telling my wife about the thread.. she figured the builder had a floor model that ran great...lol

Anyway if its knocking, leaking. your bud just needs to let him know its not right, if he wont make it right, let him know that it becomes a civil issue at that point, (meaning hes gonna sue) have a master mech over to document, notorized, neighbor as witness, timeline as to when it was picked up, installed etc etc

Just get the ducks in a row incase the guy takes a sip from his almost empty fith of jack and says...tough chit

He DID NOT run that engine @50* timing for an hour.....
Knocking?? For sure, with that timing in it.
I'd carefully remove the engine, notify the "builder" that it's coming back. Demand he put it on his "test stand" as received, and while you guys watch, have it run.

Thanks for the replies...here is some more info...my friend called the builder today. He is stopping out to take a look and was more than willing to do so.

Turns out, the builder used a shorter plug for #1 cyl as the longer plug didn't clear his headers. Before it was loaded on the trailer, he swapped back the original unused plug. We must not have seen him to do this...

The builder also thought he had set the timing to about 36 degrees, so perhaps something is moving. I grabbed ahold of the dist. to try to twist it to see if the clamp was loose, and I couldn't twist the dist. at all, so I don't think that moved at all....

We'll see what comes of it...maybe it'll have a prefectly logicial explanation...

Thanks,
Nate

The builder also thought he had set the timing to about 36 degrees,
Thanks,
Nate

He thought?

Well gee sir I thought I put your tire on...

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your captain speaking, I just got word that they thought they filled up the plane before we left, please proceed to put your head between your legs and brace for impact.

You guys used an Edelbrock kit ... first mistake ;) ---

lol...c'mon they sell "PerfromACNE carbs".. (anyone note the typo in the add at the top of the forum pages???)

The builder is stopping by the house, we'll see what comes of it...trying to keep an open mind, as we all make mistakes, its how we handle them is what makes the difference...

Nate