Check Combo for a newbie

SneakyPete

Here is my theoretical Combo, for my theoritcal Car (getting a new job in a few months, can finally realized my dream after 4 years of high school and 4 years of college). What do you guys think of this potential at the strip, and did I miss anything? Thanks much in advance!!! BTW its for an 87.

1.) VDO Knock Gauge, VDO 30lb Boost Gauge, 1978-87 A-Pillar Double Gauge Holders, VDO Oil Pressure Gauge, VDO Water Temperature Gauge, Twin Console Gauge Holders
2.) FUEL PUMP HOT WIRE KIT
3.) Adjustable Fuel (Billet Aluminum) Pressure Regulator
4.) 340 WALBRO FUEL PUMP W/KIT
5.) 9" K&N Air Filter w/bracket
6.) 160 Degree Thermostat
7.) Breather Bypass Kit
8.) Block off Coolant lines to TB
9.) Scan Master Tuning Monitor
10.) Scan Master Shade
11.) Terry Houston Stainless 3" Down Pipe w/Dump
12.) Electric Exhaust Cutout
13.) 2 3/4" Dual Exhaust Kit
14.) ADJUSTABLE WASTEGATE ACTUATOR
15.) SMC Alchy Injection
16.) 009 Injector Set
17.) TA49, TE60, TE44 (Blue Tops or 009's Whcih with which)
18.) Front Frame Braces
19.) Under the Hood Braces
20.) Rear Seat Braces
21.) 2004R Orange Stripe 3000 Stall Speed Converter
22.) Stretch ic, or dutweiler neck stock ic

One more ques, can I use a more powerful injector with a stock setup and not have probs, Iie using 009's until I can afford to get a bigger turbo?
BTW, this site is great!

My vote? Forget the alky,the braces and the exhaust cut out, run the 60 with 50#ers and the 15 row stretch, PP, run a single 3" exhaust, I'd put a volt blaster on, bigger wheel cylinders, 26" slicks and an Armstrong race chip.......... should run mid 11s under 25# boost no sweat!

Forget #12.

Either get 009s or 50# injectors. Either will work with the stock turbo, providing you have a chip for that combo.

The stock converter works well with the TA-49 or TE-44; the TE-60 will need the 3,000 stall.

Alcohol injection is great. Get the RJC power plate, too.

How fast do you want to go?

See signature for my combo, which is close to what you have described.

Forget those guys, BUY THE ALKY. :cool:

Makes you even with all the race cars on the street. ;)

I'd go right to 50 or 57 injectors skip the 42's.

Had them on both my cars at one time so I know, now...

If you want to get a feel for the car first, and plan to race it and learn ways to make your car faster, stick with a mostly stock car with the minor mods until you are into the 12s, preferably mid 12s (7.9s in the eighth). This basic mostly stock setup will beat many street cars at the track. For example mostly stock LS1s and C5 Vettes run mid 8s on average.

Not trying to rain on your parade, good luck in the job, but I think you would learn more and enjoy the stock potential of the cars prior to many upgrades. If you do it right, you can run mid to low 12s consistently and be wiser when you do upgrade to a larger turbo, etc. And when you do change something, add and test one item at a time, and learn to use the scan tool.

You can still start out with all items for mostly stock with the exception of 11,12,15,16,17, 21, &22.

Originally posted by salvageV6
Forget those guys, BUY THE ALKY. :cool:

Makes you even with all the race cars on the street. ;)

What race cars are you talkin bout? :confused: With that small combo and alky, you ain't hangin with any race cars I know.

You goin to Cottons? We'll talk about it over a burger. I'm buyin.

I'm a hot air guy, and believe me, any turbo car needs some form of octane boost...ie propain, alky or something to that effect. If you plan on sole racing this car, consider getting amotor overhaul before any mods...I fyou plan on beating the car, you need a motor that can take the beating. You'll e real sorry if a rod goes through your block, or that crank bends up like a pretzle... It is a tough decision when you have on of these cars wether to mod it out or keep it a stock sleeper, but either way, you want, or even need that car to last. I would go for the 50#, all the fuel upgrades including alky, and get that exhaust cutout and leave the stock exhaust on the car... I think if you use a dump, the stock exhaust is plenty for streetablitly unless you want show or sumthin. If you really want to upgrade the exhaust, look into ATR or Dynomax. ATR is a show quality set, but the price is kinda high...Dynomax, you get waht you pay for. Prepare to spend!!! I've kept my car, buying piece by pice since oct of 2000, and the pile is a mile high and I am still not done...the car still sits on cement block wating for me to finish college!

Best of luck to ya!!!

John

This list of mods is meant to be done over a period of time, I didn't mean to come off like I was planning on buying the car on Monday and putting all these mods on by Friday. The list is also set up in order of importance, I figure guages, hot wire and scanmaster are far more importance than a new turbo. Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it.

One more thing, the purpose of this car is a street car that runs beautifully on the street, and makes 20-30 passes per year.

You’re on the right track. And yes do the alky. I won't run a turbo car without it. I run 25lbs of boost on 93 octane with no knock. That's 8 lb's more than with just 93 octane and I don't have to buy race gas to drive my car at that power level.
As far as the injectors I’d go with 50 or 57's (and yes you can run them with a stock turbo). It's always better to have more injector than you need.
As far as the exhaust cut out (electric or not). It's great I have one, but if your gonna run a dual 2 3/4 inch exhaust with no cat your probably not gonna see much of a difference with it open or closed. If you have a cat than that’s a different story.
As far as the converter I’d recommend spending the extra money and getting a 9/11 style converter. I've used an orange stripe and a 9/11 3000 stall in the same car and there is no comparison.
Also go 200 rpm higher than the min recommended stall for your turbo it will make a big difference in spoolup at the track or the street.

Russ I'll be there.

You bringing your car?

My snow tires have been hooking up real good lately. :D

Alky. Alky. Alky.

Hope someone brings some beer, it's been warm lately. ;)

I won't need the car to win. My F-250 will be enough, no alky needed. Your snow tires are no match for 4x4. ;)