Charles Bronson Dies

I remember the first time I saw Bronson. He was in a TV series called the Cameraman. My father was taking me to a Phillies baseball game at ConnieMack Stadium. That's how long ago it was. We stopped at a store to pickup something and his show was on TV. He had unusually rough looks compared to other TV stars of the time. I enjoyed him very much through his career.

One of the net news story stated he was one of 11 children and had to wear "hand-me-downs". (For you young'uns, hand-me-downs were clothes given from the bigger, older child to a younger smaller child, when the older one outgrew them).

On Charles' first day in school when he was 6 he was a bit embarrassed that he had to wear one of his older sister's dresses.

Hmmmm, perhaps that's how he became so macho.:)

I loved the fact that he was still making action/tough guy films well into his 70's. As a matter of fact, he had a series of films called " A family of cops" that he made during the 1990's. Most were straight to video, but pretty good flicks to check out.
His last film was in 1999 I believe. He would have been 77 at the time. Simply amazing guy.
I remember my father pointing him out to me in the classic horror flick......House of Wax where he played Vincent Price's assistant.

That movie "The Mechanic" was a classic! Great movie - for the 70's.
I don't think his co-star - Jan Michael Vincent will live 'till 81 from too many drugs and too much booze.

I found it disenheartening that there was no mention of his previous wife, to whom he was married for so long, the beautiful Jill Ireland, who passed away from breast cancer in about the mid to late '80's. They were a very talented actor/actress pair/combination. he will surely be missed, as is the late Jill Ireland, his former wife of so many years.

Originally posted by Wells
I found it disenheartening that there was no mention of his previous wife, to whom he was married for so long, the beautiful Jill Ireland, who passed away from breast cancer in about the mid to late '80's. They were a very talented actor/actress pair/combination. he will surely be missed, as is the late Jill Ireland, his former wife of so many years.

AGREED!! If your reading this letter???? BOOM!! The Mechanic-great flick

Had to love him in Hard Times. His fight with Robert Tessier < the EVIL lookin bald guy> was a Classic!

R.I.P Charles.:(

Mr. Majestyk was also a cool 70's movie.

Just a poor melon farmer. ;)

I think most would have to agree the Death Wish movies made everyone re-evaluate how we view criminals and victims in society. Started to allow some re-evaluation of the failed policies of the 60's even if the Judicial System was slow to respond.

Good to hear of his popularity in Europe which is what truely helped make him a star like Clint Eastwood. You don't need high budgets to make a good action film. ;)

Charles Bronson was one of the best old time action stars. My dad took me to see "Breakout" "Red Sun" and "Hard Times"...I must have been 5-7 years old...the guy seemed larger than life. There was a kind of "honesty" in his acting...a kind of take it or leave it attitude. My fav was Hard Times...."Mr Cheney" the street fighter. He didn't look like a fag like Van Damm with those fancy smoothy moves...when punches were thrown..it resembled real fighting. Charles was one of those first actors that kept in shape and was pretty cut (for the day).

Rest in peace Charles.

The best Bronson movies had to be "Once upon a time in the west", "Magnificent 7" and "The Dirty Dozen" I have most of his work on video, he was the always the regular guy thrown into ubusual circomstance, and came out kicking butt! We will miss you sir.

Originally posted by ChrisCairns
One of the net news story stated he was one of 11 children and had to wear "hand-me-downs". (For you young'uns, hand-me-downs were clothes given from the bigger, older child to a younger smaller child, when the older one outgrew them).

On Charles' first day in school when he was 6 he was a bit embarrassed that he had to wear one of his older sister's dresses.

Hmmmm, perhaps that's how he became so macho.:)
Actually the 11th of 15 children! Just that much more amazing! Guy was awesome!

Charles was the best even though im only 20 i remeber a coulple of his movies my dad was a fan as well!!

R.I.P Charles Bronson :(