Car show people lol

BuickMike

Money pit
I swear, there are more weird folks showing up at car shows every time I go to one. My son and I cruised over to one this afternoon and found some really odd folks. One was a guy just staring at people from his creepy van with no windows. It was the perfect specimen for an A Team van though. Early 80's GMC G20. Then there was the dude with the spray painted '78 Camaro that took 15 minutes to figure out how to back into a parking spot. Next up we had the very proud gentleman next to his '84 (I think) Turbo T Bird. I think those cars are cool, but his was rough and the interior was filled with all kinds of crap and trash. He was still cleaning it and had a whole poster going on about how rare the car was. After that we had the guy with the Chrysler Cordoba who was all too eager to go on and on about it for a very long time. He was really nice though, but a little overwhelming. There was also the guy with a newer Mustang Boss, who was cracking me up. I steered clear of him, because he was talking everyone's ear off even more than the Cordoba guy. The best part was all the stuff he was pulling out of his ass. He would hold his key up to everyone (same key I have for my F150) and tell them how it is a special key that loads over 300 parameters into the car to custom tune it. Good times. Last time I went to a show I came across this guy with a well traveled '99 F150 extended cab that went out of his way to tell me how rare it was because it came with "suicide doors". Another funny was when I was walking by the GN and this guy pointed at it and said "check out that GN". His buddy said "meh, too bad it isn't one of the good ones." I am hoping he was referring to the GNX and not the mystical twin turbo V8 FBI ultralight GN. There were plenty of cool folks out there though. It just seems the oddballs were out in force tonight.

I guess to each their own.

Sounds like one of those "Now I must drink and laugh before I cry" experiences.

Life....what a trip!

I had one guy at a show tell me that my MAF sensor was on backwards !! I had to show him the direction of air flow . I think the front mount IC piping confused him .

I had one guy at a show tell me that my MAF sensor was on backwards !! I had to show him the direction of air flow . I think the front mount IC piping confused him .

That is a big reason why I stopped attending them thar "battle of the confused".

Cool cars and HOT women/wives (a burden for a single man) but ultimately just a waste of time.

Waste of time? Are you kidding me? That has to be the cheapest entertainment for a car guy. You have to let these self important types ramble. You never know what will come out of their mouth. Plus you get to see the variety of vehicles .

You cant take some of these schlubz seriously. Just take it all in and enjoy the show.

Be glad they brought there version of the barretjackson car out. They know it isn't worth half what some of that stuff sells for but that wont stop em for thinking they can get it when they go to sell it.

It can be entertaining.

I've had this talk with my girlfriend many times.

It's the same.thing in all clicks.

I took flying lessons and there were the Airplane people.

I got to many concerts and there are the concert people.

It goes on and on and on.

I guess some people just can't be themselves and need a click to be part of and then, whatever that click may be, they become those people.

It's their whole lives.

Kind of sad if you ask me.

D

Spending time with car people is never a chore and always grand. Maybe I am just being critical?

Sorry.

Last edited:
I stopped going to car shows a long time ago. I had a model of my Z06 in my Z06 on the dash and some kid tried to steal it. Alarm went off and old timers scared him off too. I go racing instead. It's like a car show, but with more normal people.

I get a kick out of the people who walk by my 87T and say something like "so what's so great about an 87 Regal?" Or, it's a 1987 that isn't a classic why is that here? I used to get upset by the stupid comments now, at the rare show I attend, I just sit back and smile.

I agree with a lot of the points above, but I still enjoy car shows and cruise nights.

I have yet to become part of a 'click' but I see them clear as day. I'll try and talk to them, but it is hit or miss whether or not they want anything to do with me. This might make me a weirdo, but when I do meet people that I have fun talking with, I feel more 'normal' in a sense. Lots of people think old cars are fun to look at but don't want to invest the time/money to own one. Hanging with people who do think ownership was worth it, who get enjoyment in working on them, and spending money on parts to upgrade things that were working perfectly fine makes me feel like I am not totally crazy. I seem to get along better with the 'go faster' guys than the guys who have museum quality cars.

I drive my car as often as I can when it is nice out, so it isn't show quality, but I think it looks good enough. I get tons of compliments every time I take it to a cruise night. I do have fun talking to the guys who 'always wanted one'. I always tell them 'I always wanted one too, so I worked hard and found a way to make it happen.' I try to encourage them as best I can. The more people that are in them, the more our parts stay around (or so I tell myself).

One story I got from a show I went to this summer. I stopped of to look at an white 88 Monte SS that was there. The owner wasn't around so i was just admiring. While I was standing there, a girl came up with her guy and started talking about the car. She was probably in her mid-20's, and easy on the eyes for sure.She was explaining to him that her first car was a white 87 Monte SS Aerocoupe. She started explaining the subtle differences between her car and the one there, such as a different spoiler. She then tried to explain to him what Aerocoupe meant compared to the one that was there, and the guy just wasn't getting it. He thought she was describing like a hatchback.She also touch on the subtle differences in the tail lights between the years since 86.

Never in my life have I have ever been so close to walking straight up to a girl and saying 'I don't care who he is or what he does, but he doesn't deserve you'. If I had been younger, I would have just taken her hand, walked her over to the GN, opened her door, sat her down, and left. A girl that knows the differences on G-body's? Sh*T that's a unicorn if there ever was one.

All in all I still go to them, enjoy talking to people, and of course, people watching.

I get a kick out of the people who walk by my 87T and say something like "so what's so great about an 87 Regal?" Or, it's a 1987 that isn't a classic why is that here? I used to get upset by the stupid comments now, at the rare show I attend, I just sit back and smile.
Been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding.....time to implement a Purge!

I kid around a lot but I really do love car meets and shows for several reasons. Like minded people who love all things automotive, amazing projects that rarely are shown and all the hot women (single guy talk). I have met some of the coolest people at meets.

Last one I was at they asked me what was in it. I told the guy" 3/8 race cam, double hump 305 heads with a 1080 carb ". He looked really confused and my buddy had to walk away. My buddy ask me how can i do that with a straight face. All the great entertainment.

I hven't raced my car at the track in a long time. We only have one dragstrip in town and it is far too overcrowded. I hop in it with my son, pull off the tops if it is nice, and enjoy the drive more than anything. We will stop in at a show and hang for 30-60 minutes, then go back. All in all it is a lot of fun. It just seems like there are more oddballs lately.