car keeps dying

Sherif

I have been having these issues ever since I installed my new engine and I cant seem to resolve the problem because it continues to come back and haunt me. Few months ago, I was driving down the road and my VOLT light on the dash came on. I checked my voltage on scanmaster and it was around 9 volts so I pulled over as the car felt like it was about to die. I turned it off and started it up a few minutes later and it fired right up and my voltage was back at 12v. Didn't think anything of is so I continued to drive the car(my daily driver)...few months later same thing happened except it left me stranded on the side of the road at 2am. I called my dad because he was close and he came and gave me a jump. the car started and drove few yards down the road before it died again. I didn't have money for a tow truck and it was late at night so we jumped it about 5 more times and oddly enough on the fifth time the volt light never came back on and my voltage went back up to 12.7v and I was able to drive it back home. Next day I took my alternator off to examine it and the post on the back of it where the positive lead from the battery connects to was loose so I got a rebuilt ac delco 100amp alternator. Problem went away....until last night(2 weeks after I bought the alternator)
I was driving home late at night again and this time I felt the car stumble and sound weird so I checked the voltage at the scanmaster and it was steady dropping from 10v...9v...8v...7v..then it died and wouldn't start up again. But the weird part was my volt light never came on so I checked the bulb and it was burnt out. replaced it and charged up the battery and took it down the road to see if all was fine. I saw the volts begin to drop as I was driving 12v..11v..10v..9v..8v.. and I made it back home before it died. The volt light never came on this time as well but the bulb works because when I ground the brown wire that connects to the back of the alternator to the bulb, the bulb lights up.

with a volt meter my battery reads 11.98v and at the back of the alternator it also reads 11.98v. With the car running the voltage at the back of the alternator never exceeds 13v. This is a two week old alternator and so far what I see is that the regulator is not exciting the brown wire that goes to the bulb because when I ground that wire somewhere else it lights up the bulb. The previous two times it died on me, the bulb was lighting up. Why isn't it doing it now. The bulb also doesn't light up anymore when I turn the key to on engine off. Im getting real frustrated

Am I missing something? doing something wrong? this is my daily driver and its getting old bumming rides to work from my old man every time my car decides to leave me in the middle of the boonies.

There is a resistor in the volt light bulb socket In the dashboard perhaps it is no good.

how can I check to see if the resistor is ok. I know I can measure the resistance but where exactly is this resistor? I thought the bulb itself was the resistor

The bulb completes the circuit but the socket is a special designed only used in volt indicator.

well when I noticed it was burnt out, I took a bulb from my water temp idiot light that was ok and I put it where the VOLT light should be and I grounded the brown wire that goes to the back of the alternator and the VOLT light was lighting up. But as the car was dying while I was driving it, the volt light never came on even before I started the car.

It's a 470 ohm 1/2 watt resistor. I actually by passed that dash curcuit tapped into a pink/black wire under hood, ran an inline resistor to the brown alt wire.

The whole back of the dash is a pretty crappy and delicate design. Might have all green corrosion on the plastic/copper curcuit paths. Pretty common....

but the bulb is lighting up. If the resistor was blown, wouldn't the bulb not light up? The brown wire is a ground wire. When its plugged into the alternator there is no volt light. but if I take that brown wire and ground it, the volt light comes on...ughhh im so frustrated

your problem is well known......
image.jpg

resistor is still ok behind dash cluster, bulb and socket are all ok, no corrosion, cleaned all connections. Im going to try a new alternator because this one must be bad. update coming tomorrow.

Do a key-on, engine-off, the VOLT light should be on. If not then the alternator is bad.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Yes and no. When I was trouble shooting the light came on one time out of 20 times when I turned the key to the on position. It's a two week old alternator. Is something killing the alternator...is that possible

new alternator seemed to fix my problem but my volt light would flicker at random times for five seconds. but went away. It was at 12v-13v while idling and driving it it went down to around 11.7v-13v. The alternator seemed to be charging because there was 14.2v at the back of the post. why is the scanmaster reading so low.
what the heck is going on now