Can I run a Thrasher 108 on the street?

WSLN 6

Powered by Murphy's Law
I have been running the Thrasher 100 on the street with SMC alky at 20psi, no knock with the stock parts.
I know I will be reaching the limits of my stock turbo this year on pump gas, and was wiondering if i could get away with any more timing/fueling.
I just installed the Ford Powerstroke IC, and soon the RJC power plate.
Is it possible for me to run the Thrasher 108 on the street with 92 octane/SMC?

Here's my experience from last weekend at the track with the Thrasher 108: I had 103 octane and my boost turned down to 18#. I had 24 knock counts by the end of the 1/4 mile and a slower time than with the street Thrasher. I don't know what effect your alky will have, and your set up is different from mine, but I will not be using my race chips unless I have 108 or better.

Go ahead and try it, just watch for knock.

What are you running in the alchy?
If you not running straight denatured in the SMC, you may want to.

Gary

I always felt that the Thrasher chips were meant for more boost and less timing. I would stick with the 100 if it is working fine.

Don't see why not as long as you run enough octane...I run my 110 JL race chip on the street all the time...it's fun blowing away those Rustangs with 25-26 PSI boost...

A better idea is a Thrasher 100. The 108 has a ton of timing and likes the motor to be fairly cool. Warmed up with a heat soaked intercooler is asking for trouble. I drove around with a 108 all the time, but when some one challenged me on the highway, I just waved to them.

If you don't have enough octane, you have to use the pedal to regulate boost and can get massive compressor surge. Nothing is more embarrasing than swinging out to pass a honda on the highway, the guy thinks you want to race him :rolleyes: and your car is going Wham, wham, wham, wham as you drive by him (with 22 psi of boost slamming against a closed throttle blade)

I run the 108 on the street with about a 70/30 mix of water/alcohol. I get a little knock on part throttle acceleration when the boost is upto 20psi with the throttle is at less than 50% (2-4*) but hardly any at WOT (maybe 1.8* or so). I know if I mixed it with more alcohol it would eliminate some more knock but the only time I get it is before the alcohol kicks in.

I am running pure denatured in the SMC alky, so I was hoping the extra octane would help out a little.
I was just trying to stretch my stock turbo/injectors combo as far as possible on pump gas.
My air should be quite a bit cooler this year due to the big Ford IC, so heat soak shouldn't be much of a problem.
Hmmm...this might be worth a shot!
I don't plan on running any race gas, so pump 92 will have to do..............

it would be nice to run the race chip with pump gas and alky-
but why not just run that 100 octane chip and keep the boost at around 20 and try not to detonate it--

it would more than likely knock out of the hole with the 108 chip, cause of the timing in the chip and the alky not spraying soon enough when the boost spikes up to 20psi

i too ran slower with a RACE chip installed running alky-- i tried adding xylene in the tank, but it just didnt cut it- the car would knock all the time ( at the time the car DID NOT HAVE A POWER PLATE and it hasnt been to the track yet) after the install-- i could take it up another 6 psi

i installed a jc street chip for stock injectors and was getting 0 KNOCK and tuned another 4 tenths out of the car--
i was able to turn down the alky, and tuned the car to a 12.52 all day long ( still no runs with the more boost and power plate
are you going to be racing with radials or slicks??

if you have slicks, add a race gas, race chip, and mist the alky to cool the intake charge

WHERE CAN I GET A THARSHER CHIP NOWADAYS???

Hey guys,
I'm looking for a Thrasher street chip (no security, no stutter). I emailed my local "distributor" (Russ Salerno), but got no reply from him. Can anyone else hook me up? Who's still burning these chips?
Thanks.
Erik

Scott Simpson is burning them also. He will even burn one for stock FP regulators for people who don't race.

His Email is scott231@gnttype.org

The thrasher 100 for stock injectors is a really good chip. I went 7.77@89 mph in the 1/8 mile with a T100 at 20 psi boost. Stock turbo, stock intercooler, drag radials and a THDP with a dump (I had a crappy exhaust) That is pretty close to my best time ever with the stock injector T108, and I did it with a lot less octane. I would have raced with the T100 more often, but it had studder and I hate studder.

If I was using alchy, I'd use the T100 and 20 psi of boost. Give the 108 a chance, but you will probably end up back with the 100.

With the stock turbo you are limited to around 21lbs of boost. When I first hooked up my smc kit, I tried it with a 93 chip, and a 100 chip, and it didn't seem to pull very hard. I stuck in my MM 108 chip, boost at 21lbs, and went out and did some WOT blasts. Now that was what I was looking for. I was able to run the exact same setup with alky and the 108 chip as I was able to run with c116 in the tank. I would get at most 1.3 degrees of knock.

I am now running a pte 54, v4, 55s, 3500nl. I run around 23-24 lbs of boost with a 100 chip. With little to no knock.

back in the day my 86 car still was making more power with every psi of boost after 21psi-

i think it just gets real hot, and you make more power- so with the alky kit, you are NOT limited to 21 psi cause of the intake charge being so cool-
im running 24-25 in my tta on pumpgas and alky- and i can tell you that it is a totally different car on how it pulls past 110mph

Re: WHERE CAN I GET A THARSHER CHIP NOWADAYS???

Originally posted by 1QuickV6
Hey guys,
I'm looking for a Thrasher street chip (no security, no stutter). I emailed my local "distributor" (Russ Salerno), but got no reply from him. Can anyone else hook me up? Who's still burning these chips?
Thanks.
Erik

You can order chips at http://www.thrasherchips.com

My old ISP no longer exists so my old email address no longer works.

-Russ
russ@thrasherchips.com