Caliper options for B-body spindles

turbomark

I have installed a set of the B-body spindles with 12 inch 1LE rotors on my '84 GN. I am currently using the B-body calipers, which certainly provide enough clamping force, but the pedal travel caused by the huge caliper pistons takes a lot of getting used to. Are there any other calipers that would bolt to the B-body spindles that have a smaller piston for better feel and less travel??

Thanks.

You may need a larger pistoned master cylinder. I experience this on another vehicle I was working on. The new calipers had larger/more pistons and the 7/8" bore master cylinder didn't have enough volume to fill the calipers, so the pedal would go all the way to the floor. Of course this was a very time consuming lesson to learn. I bet we bled the brakes 30 times over a 6 week period because we just knew it was air in the lines. WRONG! Not enough fluid to fill the calipers. Changed to a 1 1/8" bore MC problem fixed!

Butch

How do you know if you hae a 1 1/8 bore or the smaller bore ,I hae not done my swap yet ,so I would like to prepare for this ,,I do hae acuum brakes ..What do I request at the parts store,those dummies dont know anything..;)

If you have vacuum brakes with a stock G body master cylinder, then you have the smaller bore.
I use a master cylinder specified for a mid 80's B body wagon. You have to swap the reservoir from your stock G body master cylinder onto it so you can close the hood.
With my set up, my pedal travels much less than it ever did with a functioning Power Master and stock brakes.

I did the vacuum conversion a couple of years ago, before I went to the 12 inch brakes. I'm using the '84 GN master cylinder, which has a 1 1/16 inch bore. Like I said before, the car stops really well, just has more pedal travel than I would like. I don't think changing to a 1 1/8 inch master cylinder would make any appreciable difference.