Buhl Crowned 2006 GIR SCSS Champ!

Bret Kepner

BUHL CROWNED KING OF 2006 SCSS SERIES!

Fairview Heights, IL, January 13th---Tony Buhl, who won the 2006 SX Performance Street Car Shootout Series Championship, officially earned the accolades of fans and fellow competitors during the 40th annual Gateway International Raceway Awards Banquet. Buhl, of Lebanon, Illinois, received the monstrous SCSS Championship trophy, a custom GIR SCSS Champion leather jacket, photos of his 2006 Championship season and special SCSS Champion decals for his efforts.

Buhl’s Vortech-supercharged 1989 Ford Mustang qualified at all twenty-one events he attended and gained the title over 2,632 other entries which participated in the twenty-six race Tuesday night series. During the season, he scored his first SCSS victory of the season on May 9th and followed with another win on June 6the while taking two runner-up finishes during the year. His season championship was the second SCSS series title for a Ford Motor Company product.

Although Collinsville, Illinois Chevy Nova pilot Tony Huff led the point standings after the first week, Buhl broke out of a four-way tie with Huff, Camaro campaigner Dave Odenhal, and truck standout Hal Marshall by the ninth week of the SCSS. Marshall’s Chevy S-10 pickup eventually conceded the lead by the fifteenth week of the battle and, while Huff mounted a tremendous late-season charge, Buhl held on to win the title by one point. Huff’s nine-second Chevrolet finished second in the standings while Marshall’s ten-second pickup not only finished third in the SCSS program but completely dominated the Super Truck Showdown Series with a record fourteen victories in a single season. A total of 163 different competitors earned qualifying points during the series.

The championship is decided by a point total based on one point awarded for qualifying in the top sixteen at each SX Performance Street Car Shootout Series event at Gateway International Raceway in Madison, IL. All vehicles must compete using Department of Transportation-approved (street legal) tires. Buhl’s 331-cubic inch Mustang ran as quick as 9.94 seconds at 136.55 miles per hour during the year and qualified in the top half of the field in all but three attempts, including ten events in which he qualified in the top four positions. Buhl, the owner of Buhl’s Performance Automotive in Lebanon, IL, (618-537-9525), earns the honor of displaying the permanent driver number G1 for the 2007 SCSS series.

“I can honestly say this is the largest trophy I‘ve ever won in my life“, exclaimed Buhl as he marveled at the 52-inch-tall award. “I raced a lot when I was my son’s age”, said Buhl, referring to 20-year old Bob Buhl, a two-time SCSS event winner, “but when my wife, Karen, and I started a family I retired for quite a while. Once Bob showed an interest, I got back into it and it has been a wonderful experience. There’s a possibility Bob may take over the driving of my Mustang in 2007 although he’s working to finish his own car for the series. It’s also possible I’ll only drive in the new Supercharger Showdown class on Fridays and Bob will take the wheel on Tuesdays”. Ironically, the 2006 Championship was the second for Buhl’s Performance after team member Laurence Bass won the inaugrual SCSS trophy in 2004. Bass will return in 2007 with a revamped supercharged Mustang of his own.

GIRAwardsBanquet2007-01-13014B.jpg

Tony Buhl, 2006 Street Car Shootout Series Champion

BKD6-07-11_038B.jpg

BKD6-04-11_031B.jpg

Tony Buhl‘s 9.9-second, 136 mph 1989 Ford Mustang

BKD6-10-17_211B.jpg

(Left to Right) Jason Dukes (GIR Drag Racing Operations Manager), Tony Buhl, 2004 SCSS Champion Laurence Bass, two-time SCSS event winner Bob Buhl

BKD6-10-17_212B.jpg

Tony Buhl’s 331-cubic inch Vortech T-Trim supercharged small block Ford powerplant