Bringing 79 Sport Coupe Back to Life

79T-Bear

Hello all. 15 years ago I was given the 79 Sport Coupe I grew up riding in by my dad. The motor and turbo were rebuilt two years before it was parked but hasn't been started in 17 years. I know that there is rust underneath on the frame and floorboards but I'm determined to put this back on the road. I'm looking for advise on how I should go about trying to start the engine after all of these years of sitting. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Overhaul carb and replace fuel filter, replace fuel pump, drain and clean gas tank, change fluids, and then pray.;)

Its a gamble after that long a time. Who knows what varmints and the elements may have done to the engine.

Personally I would take the engine out and at least regasket it. That gives you fresh gaskets and a good chance of finding moustnests and corrosion problems before starting the engine. You can clean up some internal parts when you do it too.

If youre going to just let it fly without going that deep, I would:
Change oil and coolant, install new oil filter (look at the old oil for signs of any trouble)
Try to turn the crank with a breaker bar to be sure it can turn. (Some people pull the plugs and put some PB blaster in each cylinder, then work the crank back and forth a few revolutions in an attempt to clean up some surface rust or varnush that may have occurred on the cylinder walls.)
freshen/rebuild the carburetor
clean up or replace the cap and rotor, check all ignition wires
make sure the turbo spins free by hand
prime the oil system with a drill before starting

I would consider running some kind of engine cleaner in the oil once the engine is running to help get rid of some of the sludge thats built up in there after sitting 17 years. A few oil changes and oil filters will flush out a lot of junk from an old engine that sat

my two cents.

good luck

I know 'reality' shows aren't really reality, but I am always amazed when they take a barn find and, with minimal effort, start it up after sitting for 20+ years.

Knowing why it was parked is always helpful.

Last edited:
Its a gamble after that long a time. Who knows what varmints and the elements may have done to the engine.

Personally I would take the engine out and at least regasket it. That gives you fresh gaskets and a good chance of finding moustnests and corrosion problems before starting the engine. You can clean up some internal parts when you do it too.

If youre going to just let it fly without going that deep, I would:
Change oil and coolant, install new oil filter (look at the old oil for signs of any trouble)
Try to turn the crank with a breaker bar to be sure it can turn. (Some people pull the plugs and put some PB blaster in each cylinder, then work the crank back and forth a few revolutions in an attempt to clean up some surface rust or varnush that may have occurred on the cylinder walls.)
freshen/rebuild the carburetor
clean up or replace the cap and rotor, check all ignition wires
make sure the turbo spins free by hand
prime the oil system with a drill before starting

I would consider running some kind of engine cleaner in the oil once the engine is running to help get rid of some of the sludge thats built up in there after sitting 17 years. A few oil changes and oil filters will flush out a lot of junk from an old engine that sat

my two cents.

good luck

Thank You for the advise. It has been very helpful so I can make a plan of attack!

I know 'reality' shows aren't really reality, but I am always amazed when they take a barn find and, with minimal effort, start it up after sitting for 20+ years.

Knowing why it was parked is always helpful.
The floor boards were starting to go so the car was parked. I had intentions of starting on the project shortly after that but things happened (wife, kids, life).