Bolts through my intake runners???

87BuickMan

I pulled my intake off a short time ago and much to my suprise I found bolts going through my intake runners that have been covered in some sort of epoxy. Here are some pics.
DSCN2057.jpg

DSCN2059.jpg

DSCN2070.jpg

Anyone have any clue? I am guessing that is effecting the air flow in the runners. The heads are casting # 25506293, are they a decent head? Are they even spusto be on a Turbo engine?
DSCN2064.jpg

Thats what I was thinking as well, but there isn't any hole anywhere for the lines to exit the block or intake (unless they were using a different intake).
Think this will make a difference in performance? Should I be insearch of a new set of heads?

I'd get rid of them and get a set of 8445 heads that are suppose to be on it. They are cheap enough and easy to find.

The 6293 casting is the same casting as the StageI heads. There is really no difference in flow between the 6293 and the 8445 castings. HOWEVER, some of the 6293 have bridged waterports, some do not. The bolts may have also been someones attempt to anchor epoxy in the port floor, but I suspect a hidden nitrous system also. The port floor is really stagnate in regards to flow, so the small lumps of epoxy aren't hurting flow. The heads in he photos look like they have port work done to them, so keep what you have.

After further inspection TF was right the heads are fully ported, both intake and exhaust. I even turned the intake upside down and the ports on that have had some work done to them :cool: .
Now my next question is should I pull the heads off and have them redone? when I got the car it had been sitting in a storage unit for the last 10 years. Wondering if I should have a valve job done to them and maybe new springs as they have sat so long, and maybe are slightly fatigued (??) from being in a compressed position for 10 years.

If you pull the heads have those holes tapped for pipe plugs. That way it will get those potential hazzards out of the intake and lifter valley.

If you pull the heads have those holes tapped for pipe plugs. That way it will get those potential hazzards out of the intake and lifter valley.

why ????? whats a few loose bolts :eek: :p ...never mind the bolts you should see what a little screw from the throttle blade in the throttle body can do :eek:

Instead of making a new thread, should I get rid of the EGR stuff on my intake and DH while I have everything apart? I am shooting for a very low 11 sec drive anywhere type of car. So far I have a .030 short block the ported heads pictured, ported intake (still has EGR provisions) ported stock TB and DH (where the TB bolts on). 009 injectors, adjustable fuel pressure reg, stock down pipe, test pipe, hooker 2 1/2" exhaust, Comp cams 260H cam, 160 deg T-stat, Still undecided as to what way I wanna go with the ECM, has stock ECM with reds 93 chip now, but I have other goodies that the chip isn't burned for. I plan on getting a alky kit for it, but isn't in the budget for some time, maybe next spring.