Biggie oil filter

HOT & COLD GN

Since changing to the biggie oil filter from the pf52 I get engine rattle on start up. I have tried 2 filters so far ac and pure one. Both cause rattle but less with the pure one. What filter sould I try next, I can't stand that sound, it can't be good.

Thanks
Joe Cook

rattling?, it must be hitting something for it to rattle, which probably isnt good to begin with. I believe they are all the same diameter but i can be wrong.

HTH
Kevin

FWIW.....I'm currently running a Purolator L30005. Twice as long as the filter you are running and seems to be better then the other filters I have tried. I did find (believe it or not) the Fram filter to be quiet at start up, but the filter it's self isn't such a great piece. I have used AC, AC Gold, Pure One, Wix, and the regular Purolator brands.
Oil weight has a lot to do with it too.......as you probably already know. Lighter weight= quick pressure rise time.

Jeff, the first filter was an AC PF24 the second is a Purolator L20033 and I am using mobil 10w-30. When I first crank up cold I get about 85 psi on the gage after my rebuild. Do you think the pressure is causing the filter to collaps? After warm idling in gear it run 30psi of oil pressure. I am going to try a lower pressure bypass spring this weekend and another filter. Any thoughts? Its got to be a drain back problem of some sort.

Thanks
Joe

Not to steal the thread but who's got the best price on mobil1 filters? I tried walmart but all they had was fram and some dura something-r-other.

HOT & COLD GN, are you running a hi-vol oil pump??? And if so, did you block the bypass, too??? It's possible that the filters are collapsing...Did you happen to look inside the big hole in the center of the filter??? If the filter is collapsing, it will look all scrunched(is that a word??? :p ) up in there...

He's talking about rocker rattle on start up. I get/had the same problem. I reduced it by fixing a leak at the oil pump cover and running a purolator, Wix or Ac filter and 5w30 synthetic. Helped alot.

It now only rattles for a split second if the car has sat for a while (few days)

HOT & COLD GN,
I have had a filter collapes on me, and if you had one you would know it. You can take a look down the throat of the filter as FJM568 suggested. When my filter collapsed. it puked oil out all over the ground. The oil had nowhere to go except out the O-ring. What a mess!
By the way.....you have got great oil pressure (wish I had that much). You would probably be all set if you just switched out to a thinner oil as suggested already. Mybe a 5-30, or 0-30.

Good luck,

FJM568
Hi-vol oil pump Yes
Blocked bypass No
1st Filter looked ok on the in side

I will try the thinner oil.

Would the longer filter help or make it worse? More volume to fill (bad) or more filter area to let oil pass faster (good)?

Thanks
Joe Cook

Our car uses the biggie oil filter and we noticed the same noise on cold start-up. We run a mechanical oil pressure gauge with a #4 AN line (very responsive), and I confirmed that the noise diminished as the oil pressure came up. I happened to use a Fram oil filter (PH25) most recently in place of the usual AC Delco and the problem has disappeared almost completely. I plan to use the Fram filter from now on.
I suggest you try this before changing to a very thin engine oil.

Yikes!!! Fram filter...:eek:

They use cardboard ends glued to the filter media...If the cardboard tears and separates from the media, you will have unfiltered oil running through your engine...Take that Fram filter and throw it as far as you can and run as fast as you can in the other direction!!!

Go here for more info...

http://minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Try using another brand of filter...

That link contains some good information. But their analysis certainly contradicts the change in performance of our car when we switched from the ACD filter to the Fram.

I hang with a heavy drag racing crowd, and all of the engine builders I've spoke to use nothing but the WIX brand.

Don't know if it means anything but it's good enough info for me.

I run WIX

I have said it before on other threads (and this one), and I'll say it again...the Fram is the best filter I have come across when it comes to start up clatter......but I don't run one. I run an L30005 Purolator. It has a little more start up clatter, but I can be sure that it has good internal construction. Seems like a reasonable trade off.
The first and only time I ran a WIX, it puked the drain back seal. Maybe a bad filter, I don't know?