BHJ won't clear crank sensor

tminer

Not quite normal
I've got an Eagle crank and BHJ balancer but the BHJ hits the crank sensor before it is flush with the crank snout. Is this common? Is the sensor durable enough to use a bench grinder to clearance it?

Is there something else possibly going on to cause this? I am using the thicker felpro timing cover gasket per the DLS cam button specs.

Thanks,
Tom

Sounds like you have left out your oil slinger? Unless you mean something other than the interrupter wheel hitting the groove in the sensor...

You don't have an on-center S2 do you?

TurboTR

109 block. Oil slinger is there, I know because I did leave it out during the first final mounting of the timing cover. Interuptor looks to be OK but it does come very close to the cover where it meets the oil pan, or girdle actually.

The outer part of the sensor is hitting the large retaining ring on the backside of the hub. The ring looks to be in the proper position.

I guess I'll take the cover back off and install the hub to see how everything is lining up inside. I'm just not sure what prevents it from going on too far other than the interference fit.

Tom

Just an FYI but the balancer should never be flush with the end of the crank snout...the inside edge of the balancer should stick out a little past the end of the crank snout so that when you tighten the big bolt is has something to tighten against...the bolt wouldn't do a whole lot of good if the two pieces were flush...not sure what the problem is...my BHJ fit perfectly but mine is for external balance...since your using an Eagle crank you need to have a BHJ for internal balance...I'm wondering if the thicker front cover gasket is causing the problem...if you think about it...the relationship of the balancer distance wise...basically how far it goes on to the crank snout is dictated by the thickness of the crank gear and the oil slinger...but when you put a thicker gasket on you are essentially pushing the front cover along with the crank sensor farther out away from the block and closer to the balancer...only other thing would be the thickness of the crank gear...a thinner gear would move the balancer closer to the cover...

I don't press it on to flush, just close (.125-.250") but tightening the crank bolt presses it on further, I assumed until flush.

Yes, I understand the gasket deal, but eyeballing it I'd say that even with no gasket it would hit. That will be another test to do though.

Thanks,
Tom

Did you replace the timing chain by chance? On a recent rebuild I somehow recieved the lower sprocket that was .050 shorter than the original. It allowed the balancer (also was a BHJ) to go in farther and cause interference with the crank sensor/front cover and caused mis-alignment of the pully. I ended up getting the correct crank sprocket and solved the problem.

Must be either that or the crank is machined differently <ack> or the balancer is different (if it has not come apart some)?

TurboTR

I have the same crank and balancer set up you have, you have to use the new style crank sensor.

I experienced the same interference when installing a BHJ with a new Silverseal front cover. After modifying the crank sensor bracket for clearence, I discovered that a spare sensor from Caspers fit as well. I did not trace the original cause, but both fixes have worked for me.