EGR Removal - With Pics

busta

Thanks, Coel, very informative. I know it’s an old thread, but any chance you still have the photos available to post?

The intake manifold in stock form is quite a restriction, so why not just port it! It's quite obvious where to grind by looking at the port exits. Remove the egr boss inside the plenum too. It helps the plenum volume, and flow to the front ports.
What I did was weld a plate over the egr boss hole, then drill a 3/8" hole in it. Then I welded up the holes where the egr valve was, tapped the top hole that went to the underside of the plenum with a 1/4" pipe tap, and use that for my power brake booster vacuum.
By porting the intake, you can make the same power with less boost. Assuming you just are running a mild street deal, at say 12 or 15 lbs, if the same power is made at less boost, effective spool time is quicker, and the intake air is cooler.
If you are greedy, then ignore that statement, and do everything!
I am not trying to get every last HP out of my deal, so I prefer intake flow instead of raw boost to get a cooler charge.
Not saying this is the only way, just an alternative.
I have done many high flow/ low boost turbo and blower deals, and I like the results. Of course, just turning up the boost is cheaper, but I find the tuning "window" is smaller, and carnage factor is higher. When doing a turbo deal for a first timer, it is easier for them to learn without breaking as much during the process.
TIMINATOR

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack. Just offering other reasons to remove the manifold.
TIMINATOR

Thanks for the response, Timinator. I'm new to all of this, but thanks to posts like your, I'm learning a lot!