Are these the same?

sick GN

I was wondering if the impalla ss trans was the same as the grand national's. The reason that I ask is that I need a tranny from the chi. area, and a guy has one out of an impalla for a good price.

Thanks

Mike

I will probably be corrected on this but I believe the Impala SS transmission is a 4L60-E which is the newer version of the 700-R4. I don't know if they swap out easily or not, although I have heard of people using the 4L80-E (GM's truck transmission which is more heavy duty than the 4L60-E) in GN's.

truck transmission

Hi

Thanks for your responce. You said that people used truck transmissions? Do you know what kind of truck it was?
Any other information you have on these transmissions would help.

Thanks again ;)

Mike

The trans in question is the 4L80E which is essentially an O/D, computer controlled version of the Turbo 400. This all sounds good but it is a very heavy transmission (it takes two people to pick one up) and it LOVES to break parts. BIG TIME parts too. Usually the direct piston and/or Drum but sometimes cases and VB's too. It also takes allot of power to drive the unit and has less desireable gearing. Other than that it is great! Oh yea, it won't bolt up because it has a Chevy only bell housing.