Are the ATK engines true turbo engines?

B

BOOSTAHOLIC

On there website the turbo and non-turbo engines have the same part #'s.

Don't know who ATK is , but i've yet to see a remann company put a turbo crank in their motors. Give em a call.

Originally posted by BOOSTAHOLIC
On there website the turbo and non-turbo engines have the same part #'s.

Every person I've heard of that had an ATK or a Jasper has said that it was NOT a turbo engine.

Usually the rods, pistons and heads are ok. If you can get a decent deal on it you can take the bottom end apart and swap the crank to a turbo model if it isn't. Just a thought.

If you do that, your warranty just went out the window...

Also, most of their engines are bored .040 over...and some are even .060 over...You should really not go over .030 on these turbo 3.8L motors...The engines run hotter and the cylinder walls are too thin if you go over .030...The cylinders end up flexing and losing ring seal...Even the pistons I would be worried about...I agree with ya on the rods and heads...

Originally posted by FJM568
If you do that, your warranty just went out the window...

Also, most of their engines are bored .040 over...and some are even .060 over...You should really not go over .030 on these turbo 3.8L motors...The engines run hotter and the cylinder walls are too thin if you go over .030...The cylinders end up flexing and losing ring seal...Even the pistons I would be worried about...I agree with ya on the rods and heads...
What warranty? Good luck trying to getting warranty service out of these place-BTDT. I had a couple of .040" motors including a reman and never had a problem with it heating up or losing ring seal. Actually Banning has my old .040" over motor and has been beating the piss out of it after I beat the piss out of it and is bolting more go fast parts on it to beat the piss out of it even more:eek: :D I don't think they use .060" in buick motors or can even get pistons that big. Least I have never seen it.

Don't really know about the 3.8Ls w/.060 overs, but I've seen a couple of 4.1Ls that were rebuilt by (insert mass remanufacturer name here) that were .060 over...

I've had an ATK engine, the first one i blew the headgasket (detonation) fixed it and then ended up breaking the rocker shaft. They sent me a new engine. The next engine i ended up cracking the piston (i believe this was due to detonation as well as I found that I did not have the vac hose on the fuel pressure reg.) They sent me a new engine. So as far as ATK's warranty, they are good. Is the engine a "turbo" engine i doubt it but i can check as i still have the new one in my garage. I belive the guy from GN/T performance or Sunshine turbo regals...something like that out of Tampa use to sell them and hasn't had any issues. Any opther questions feel free to email me.

Marvin