are roadside smog checks returning in CA?

tom h

While driving around in So Calif couple weeks (city of Torrance, to be precise), parked by side of a 4-lane boulevard were a Calif Highway patrol car, a couple of unmarked vans & enclosed trailers, and what seemed to be a small, towable wheel dyno. The whole area was separated from the street's traffic flow with orange cones.

It looked suspiciously like a random, enforced, roadside smog-check setup.

There were no vehicles being tested, at the time.

I thought the roadside checks were eliminated years ago, as the test equipment became complex. But it appears these guys now even had a dyno! (plus a CHP officer to provide "persuasion").

What gives? Are roadside checks returning? Will FBI agents drag us away in handcuffs if the catalytic converter isn't performing, or if we're running leaded gas?!

Dunno about California doing that, but when I was in the Netherlands last year they had some machines set up on some roads that would spot check for gross polluter cars somehow. The car would have a pic taken like on red light cameras and you got sent a summons to get the car emissions tested within the week or your tags were suspended. They have very high road taxes for vehicles running certain blends of fuel, etc... and lots of people cheat. Gas costs $6.50 a gallon there.. Yipes..

I bet it's only a matter of time before they start doing something like this in the US, and just pull over cars that look modified or whatever, test them on the spot and either fine the owner, or suspend the tags on the spot, and cart the car off on a flatbed if it's a repeat offender. That would suck..

Billy
Montgomery Village, MD

There is always pilot programs throughout the state. In preparation for remote sensing devices.