Approximate Value of this 1987 Grand National??

After talking to a neighbor who had a Buick Regal T Type, I am going to pass on this one. He basically said the same thing as many here have said, wait til something better comes along that doens't need work or obvious paint issues. I love the idea of owning a G/N, but I do not want a POS one that needs $$$$$$$$ of work before I can feel good about it. Definitely will keep looking for one that I know has been cared for with an owner who wants it to find a good new home, not a random guy who doesn't seem to know what price he even wants to get for it....

Thanks to all here for your help, I will definitely stick around.

After talking to a neighbor who had a Buick Regal T Type, I am going to pass on this one. He basically said the same thing as many here have said, wait til something better comes along that doens't need work or obvious paint issues. I love the idea of owning a G/N, but I do not want a POS one that needs $$$$$$$$ of work before I can feel good about it. Definitely will keep looking for one that I know has been cared for with an owner who wants it to find a good new home, not a random guy who doesn't seem to know what price he even wants to get for it....

Smart decision.

Smart decision.

A big "Amen" to the previous comment " Smart decision ". I searched for almost a year finding mine, and the search was kinda fun. Found a 31 k mile GN that had been lovingly - perhaps obsessively - cared for by its two previous owners. I might have paid a premium price ( mid $20's) but in return I got a "premium" car and I am enjoying the h&ll out of driving it. The only things I have done to mine were things I *wanted* to do -- chassis bracing , body mounts . There ARE good TB's / GN's out there. Just play the detective role by investigating the car's history and have a knowledgeable person look at it with you if possible. Lastly, be as objective and critical as you need to be, and listen to your head not your heart.

Last edited:
Sounds like a solid decision. Don't be discouraged. Keep doing research. Look at the cars for sale section on this board and see how members present their car. Look at the questions people ask about it. Literally write down a list of questions that you see become common. Use that list for other ads you find. Start to monitor the market so you get an idea of what prices are associated with what level of quality.
You can do a search on ebay of COMPLETED auctions. compare what those cars offered condition wise compared to their asking price. Look at the ones that actually sold and their final sales price. Get some idea of what prices cars are NOT going to sell at and go from there. No two GN's are the same, so it is going to be a grey area when it comes to valuation. That is why it is important to identify what you want.

You will find cars that are pampered trailer queens, cars that are pavement pounding speed demons, cars that are in between, and cars that had their owners fail them, resulting in a messy heartbreak. As others have said, the hunt is actually pretty fun and it helps keep the dream alive, especially if you are saving money to buy a better one. Watch out for Wife aggro. She will need to be on board with this car. Involve her in your dream, and let her know it is important to you to achieve it. Remember these care are almost 30years old. Even a pristine condition car is going to need a little more attention than your daily driver. Replacement parts can get expensive for these cars. (Search the site for Powermaster). She needs to be prepared for that. I encourage you to keep an eye on the general tech forums to see what kind of issues folks have and how they resolve them.

Don't limit yourself by thinking 'only local'. Getting a familiarity with what's out there and how much folks want for them is essential in evaluating the value in what you have found. I will offer that in my observations that in the past two years April/May the biggest selection of cars were available, but all had higher prices (When warm weather hits is usually when folks get the itch for a toy so higher demand). September/October owners were most open to negotiating price if they lived in a snowfall region. (They want to avoid putting the car in storage again).

I may get flamed for saying this, but I am of the opinion you should NOT buy one of these cars from a dealer. Not unless you know who the previous owner was. They all have the same story of a little old lady who got the car from he deceased husband and it just sat in the garage. Remember, our cars only have 5 digit odometers. Once it crosses 99,999, you get to have a 'low milage' car again. I have seen dealers detail the hell out of cars and pass them off as barn finds. Sure I suppose a private owner could do the same thing, but generally speaking when you find an owner that was passionate about these cars, you can tell it because he loves to talk about the car. Lots of stories he will have. . Salesmen are always enthusiastic. in my experience. (no offense to anyone).

I hope this opinion helps you in your search. These cars drive like no other, and are addicting, but can seem like they are a vacuum cleaner to your bank account if you get one at the wrong stage of its life. I didn't believe people when they told this to me in during my search, but if you can be patient, and look at lots of cars, you will 'know' when you have found the car you were looking for.

Good Luck!

There are a bunch of knowledgeable MAGNA guys in the Philly area, with Jim Dunn at the top of the list (y) (http://www.buickturboperformance.com)
Not sure of your overall goals with a car, but you could post over in the MAGNA section that you are "looking", some guys may know of something available. You could also meet local folks at any of the monthly meets to get some first-hand info.
Good luck with your search.

Sounds like a solid decision. Don't be discouraged. Keep doing research. Look at the cars for sale section on this board and see how members present their car. Look at the questions people ask about it. Literally write down a list of questions that you see become common. Use that list for other ads you find. Start to monitor the market so you get an idea of what prices are associated with what level of quality.
You can do a search on ebay of COMPLETED auctions. compare what those cars offered condition wise compared to their asking price. Look at the ones that actually sold and their final sales price. Get some idea of what prices cars are NOT going to sell at and go from there. No two GN's are the same, so it is going to be a grey area when it comes to valuation. That is why it is important to identify what you want.

You will find cars that are pampered trailer queens, cars that are pavement pounding speed demons, cars that are in between, and cars that had their owners fail them, resulting in a messy heartbreak. As others have said, the hunt is actually pretty fun and it helps keep the dream alive, especially if you are saving money to buy a better one. Watch out for Wife aggro. She will need to be on board with this car. Involve her in your dream, and let her know it is important to you to achieve it. Remember these care are almost 30years old. Even a pristine condition car is going to need a little more attention than your daily driver. Replacement parts can get expensive for these cars. (Search the site for Powermaster). She needs to be prepared for that. I encourage you to keep an eye on the general tech forums to see what kind of issues folks have and how they resolve them.

Don't limit yourself by thinking 'only local'. Getting a familiarity with what's out there and how much folks want for them is essential in evaluating the value in what you have found. I will offer that in my observations that in the past two years April/May the biggest selection of cars were available, but all had higher prices (When warm weather hits is usually when folks get the itch for a toy so higher demand). September/October owners were most open to negotiating price if they lived in a snowfall region. (They want to avoid putting the car in storage again).

I may get flamed for saying this, but I am of the opinion you should NOT buy one of these cars from a dealer. Not unless you know who the previous owner was. They all have the same story of a little old lady who got the car from he deceased husband and it just sat in the garage. Remember, our cars only have 5 digit odometers. Once it crosses 99,999, you get to have a 'low milage' car again. I have seen dealers detail the hell out of cars and pass them off as barn finds. Sure I suppose a private owner could do the same thing, but generally speaking when you find an owner that was passionate about these cars, you can tell it because he loves to talk about the car. Lots of stories he will have. . Salesmen are always enthusiastic. in my experience. (no offense to anyone).

I hope this opinion helps you in your search. These cars drive like no other, and are addicting, but can seem like they are a vacuum cleaner to your bank account if you get one at the wrong stage of its life. I didn't believe people when they told this to me in during my search, but if you can be patient, and look at lots of cars, you will 'know' when you have found the car you were looking for.

Good Luck!
^^^Couldn't have said it better myself. All good points (y)

SHANAX, I have a checklist of things to look for when shopping for a Turbo Buick. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send it to you when I get home tonight.

Get flamed for that?... Heckkkkky no!!!! I couldn't have said it better. That whole quote is golden .

And get that checklist from 626 GN. Sounds like a very good idea.

^^^Couldn't have said it better myself. All good points (y)

SHANAX, I have a checklist of things to look for when shopping for a Turbo Buick. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send it to you when I get home tonight.

If not too much trouble I would like to have a copy of your list if you would not mind.

Thanks in advance,
Gregg

PS, Please email it to me so I can save and make copies. I can use them as a "check list" when I am inspecting vehicles. Maybe your list should be a "sticky"?

texasmr2@sbcglobal.net

Last edited:
If not too much trouble I would like to have a copy of your list if you would not mind.

Thanks in advance,
Gregg

PS, Please email it to me so I can save and make copies. I can use them as a "check list" when I am inspecting vehicles. Maybe your list should be a "sticky"?

texasmr2@sbcglobal.net

No problem Gregg. I'll email it to you when I get home tonight. It's on my home computer...

It's actually not my checklist. The author is another member and I forgot his screen name, unfortunately. The list is a compilation taken from various publications including Dennis Kirban's Turbo Regal Buying Guide. Like anything else, everyone has their own opinion on what to look for. This list covers a lot of ground and is good for guys starting to learn what to look out for in these cars.

Looks better than mine body wise... I paid $8K here in So-Cal. Interior looks pretty clean, just a quarter sized tear on backseat headliner.

I wish I would've saved another $5-8K and bought a better looking one, engine and everything. I've had to rebuild motor, finally seeing light at end of tunnel. Body/paint is next.

bc90625a34461bf0061c7db81afe3d44.jpg

(Hood is popped open, however, at the hinges, it's lifted about a half inch)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Thanks in advance,
Gregg

texasmr2@sbcglobal.net
Sent to your email. Any questions after looking over the list just ask. Lots of knowledgeable people here that are more than willing to help.