Anti-Theft Problems

Ken Cunningham

Post No Bills
Due to smog issues (explained in the smog forum), I have pulled out some old chips. One was a Thrasher with anti-theft. Since I have removed my Extender and modern MAF and put in the old-style stock MAF, I pulled out the Turbo Tweak chip too and put in the old Thrasher. Its idle is butter-smooth and the part throttle acceleration is fantastic. Even better than I remembered. I may want to continue running this set up once I get past the CA smog nannies.

But I have problems with the anti-theft. I remember the sequence just fine, and we don't need a public discussion of the details. But in the morning, it just won't start. After it has started and run once, I can replace the chip with the Thrasher and it will start and run fine. But that first start in the morning is a no-go.

I'm supposing that I'm getting a voltage drop during that first start that causes the chip to reset to "no start" mode. Is there a weak ground that is known to cause this? If my battery/alternator system works fine for everything else, should I replace the battery just for the Thrasher to work?

My car is not particulaly hard to start, but in the morning especially it is not uncommon to have to cycle the starter a couple of times to get it to catch.