Aftermarket oil cooler question

turbosam6

My cars suck
I'm thinking of putting an oil cooler on my car, sinci I eliminated it when I put on my CAS aluminum radiator. What are you guys using? I also have a pte oil relocator kit to install, maybe I could splice into those lines? Ideas? Pics would be cool, thanks.

I think it was at the pte tech session last fall, i asked about the oil cooler and was told it is ok to run with out it. it is primarily needed if pulling a heavy load. But with our car running a 160 t-stat and blasting down the 1/4 the oil doesnt get to the point where a cooler is needed. I dont use mine since i put new bottom end bearings in and metal was in the cooler.

The trucool is the best. It flows more by far than any other cooler and has more cooling capacity for it's size. It also won't dent from rocks hitting it. It only flows on the upper rows when the oil is cold and opens up when it gets hot so it's kind of like a build in thermostat. I think a cooler is mandatory on these cars making the power per cube that we do. My water coolant temps dropped 10-15 degrees after adding the oil cooler. There also was almost no varience in idle oil pressure once warmed up. Even if I ran it real hard for extended periods, the pressure would stay much more consistant.

My experience is similar to cool84 except I used a B&M oil cooler, which is beefy enough that you can run it over. His trucool sounds like a good piece too.

I had a thick front mount, so I chose to mount the cooler with rubber spacers on the back of the bumper. Same deal, it dropped my coolant temps, gave me more oil pressure, and more consistent.

Mike [:)

Originally posted by mkazigian
My experience is similar to cool84 except I used a B&M oil cooler, which is beefy enough that you can run it over. His trucool sounds like a good piece too.

I had a thick front mount, so I chose to mount the cooler with rubber spacers on the back of the bumper. Same deal, it dropped my coolant temps, gave me more oil pressure, and more consistent.

Lol, B&M sells the trucool cooler under their own name as do a few others. I've literally run mine over before it was hooked up and I was fitting it and forgot about it. Didn't hurt a thing except it scratched the paint a little. :)

Cool84........how did you hook yours up and what size lines did you run? I have the same cooler with 1/2"NPT threads. I was going to use -8AN Aeroquip lines and fittings and hook it to the stock sandwhich adapter between the oil filter and the engine where the stock lines hooked up.

Oil cooler mounting

I have the Modine cooler remote mounted w/ a home made remote oil filter and a CAS radiator. I see temps in the 160 to 165 range, regardless of the ambient temps...
My oil cooler is behind the rt air dam and has it's own "forced air" enclosure and screened in inlet cut in the dam face. Kinda cool:cool: :cool: :cool:
If anyone needs a pic or two and a spec as to how it's mounted, let me know and I'll see if I can get the info and pics available..

Now, can someone tell me how to get a location for the fotos to be posted? I understand the board will not accept them for direct access.:eek: :eek: :confused: :confused:

Thanks for the responses. Does anyone have a part # for any of the mentioned coolers? Also, where should I buy one? Can I just use my stock oil filter cooler adapter to run lines to the cooler?

I got the B&M oil cooler from Summit. It wasn't in the catalog, I had to ask for it. It came with all hardware needed.

From the factory, the stock Aeroquip lines go into a fitting reducer and then into the stock oil cooler ring. I removed the stock fitting reducers, and used the supplied B&M fittings and hoses directly into the stock oil cooler ring. Don't forget to protect the hoses as they pass through the sheet metal to the grille. I wrapped them in heater hose.

I got mine out of a junkyard off of a truck. I think the big ones go for about $80 my price. I've noticed some of the big GM dually turbodiesel trucks have the same cooler and it looks like the factory GN lines will screw right in. Some of the Ford duallies with the 460 also have them but they're not quite as big.

B&M Supercoolers

Florida State has an open wheeled formula style race team that competes with other schools that I am a member of. I just got done testing B&M PN-70265 for it, which is supposed to be a 15,000 GVW tranny cooler. The thing would remove heat at a rate of over 1.6 KW with the vehicle moving 20 mph and flowing about 2.5 liters/minute of oil. It knocked the temps down from 205’F before the cooler to 158°F after. I'm really big on this design. It works like a champ.

Like Chuck Leeper, I mounted mine behind a KeneBell front air dam vent. I used Earls, local dealer, evpensive, but it works.

Cooler hoses

Lee, mine are AN -10. I have the Dutt pump. I plumbed the entire pressure side w/ -10. The pickup line to the pan is -12. The relief line is -8.

HTh,;) ;) ;)

Mine is a stock 87 engine with stock oil pump. I would like to add the 1/2" NPT fittings to the stock oil cooler adapter behind the filter. I just need to know what size lines to use from the stock oil cooler adapter to the cooler.