? about ps reservoirs

T Spool

Is there anything that can go bad in a power steering reservoir? Like one way valves or ? Obviously, I know they can crack and leak, but can they go bad internally?

there is nothing internal if you have a 86 or 87 it is remote mounted.

if you have the 84-85 pump it is all one piece and if something gets inside the pump it will be ruined.

Inside my 86-87 reservoir there's something attached to the larger line. Maybe a filter? It's kind of round and looks like it snaps onto the line. I thought these were simply a reservoir with an inlet and outlet so I was surprised to see this filter or whatever it is. Should I just have another beer and not worry about it :confused:

Probablly a paper towel jammed inside to make it work . seen plenty of them like that. Fixes the whining problem.

ps resi

I think the 86 ps resi is bigger than the 87's. I say this because my 87 T was an early build and it had a 86 ps resi with the diffrent cap. My bros 87 has a smaller one.
fyi

So you don't all think I'm crazy here's a pic of it. It looks like a spider...LOL. After doing some research it looks like two designs were made - an early design with lines top and bottom and later design with lines side by side. I have a couple NOS ones and I didn't recall seeing the "spider" in those. I guess it's one of those ultra rare ones they only put on the GNX's........yeah that's it :eek:

Attachments

• ps reservoir 001.jpg
    ps reservoir 001.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 132
One thing I've read is that the cap on '86's screws on in the opposite direction than the cap on '87's...dunno if it's true though...or why...

Claude

ps reservoir 101

After researching, here are my findings on reservoirs with pics.
  1. 86 reservoirs are larger than 87 and the location of the high and low pressure lines are reversed (see pic 86 on right). Cap is right hand thread.
  2. Original 87 reservoirs (see pic on my car) are smaller than 86 and have a 90* elbow for the larger line. Cap is left hand thread.
  3. GM replacement 87 reservoirs (see pic left and center) p/n 25531140 are same as the original except the lines are straight and side by side. Cap is left hand thread.
FYI, they all have the "spider" looking filter in them. I don't see why you couldn't interchange them, you would just have to cut or extend the hoses possibly.

Attachments

• ps reservoir 007.jpg
    ps reservoir 007.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 103
  • ps reservoir 006.jpg
    ps reservoir 006.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 88